Will Uke Leash scratch finish?

Kibes37

Reaction score
My Kanile’a is as slippery as fresh caught salmon. No strap pegs. I have a Uke Leash I love, but I’m scared to put it over my headstock finish and tuners. It’s new to me, I’m sure I’ll chill out in a month. Does anyone have experience with this?

I use Uke Leashes, and have never seen a scratch from it. Just my experience, but I've used it on multiple ukuleles with various finishes.

I don't have one but the answer has to be "NO". Tying string or straps around the headstock is a standard method of strapping withoug a peg. It really is not being rubbed back and forth and the finish is hard enough for much greater stresses. The much greater likelihood of damaging the finish is from belt buckles and zippers.

Thank you for the replies. On my Kala it goes between the tuners. On my Kanile’a it goes over the tuners. Although I fasten it tight it still moves. Maybe the way I play. The nylon seems too abrasive when moving. I’m being anal I know. I plan on keeping it, but resale is always an option.

I was considering velvet tape to line the Uke Leash...

Last edited:
It didn't bother mine at all. I've switched to a strap button at bottom and a thin tie at top since then though. I just didn't like how the uke strap made it feel like the uke was getting away from me.

Thank you for the replies. On my Kala it goes between the tuners. On my Kanile’a it goes over the tuners. Although I fasten it tight it still moves. Maybe the way I play. The nylon seems to abrasive when moving. I’m being anal I know. I plan on keeping it, but resale is always an option.

I was considering velvet tape to line the Uke Leash...

They so make Suede covers for anyone concerned about scratching the finish. They are fairly inexpensive, though shipping will drive the costs up.

I think I just have to have a pin installed, which I really don’t want to do. Maybe I’ll have a pickup installed and justify it that way. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The nylon seems to abrasive when moving.

I should have specified that I'm using the leather version, in case that does make a difference. No problem with the leather version, for me, at least.

Maybe cover the contacting parts with some improvised soft cotton?

bratsche

I have the suede cover sleeve that Lori sells with the uke leash. Just shoot her an email and enjoy playing it! So great to hear about true love...

Top Bottom