I Can Resist Everything Except Temptaion

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Saw this recently, and thought it applied to UAS. If so, we surely have many on-line slippery slopes to tempt us! :D

The legendary Irish wit, Oscar Wilde, wrote a play that debuted in London in 1892, called Lady Windermere’s Fan, that was so successful that it’s been in continuous production in one form or another ever since. That masterpiece is the origin of a number of Wilde’s pithy witticisms.

The one that never fails to make me chuckle is the self-reflection of the rakish character, Lord Darlington, when he comments, “I can resist everything except temptation.”

No truer words have ever been spoken!

Temptation… the desire to do something, usually considered wrong or unwise; the compromise of long-term fulfillment for short-term enjoyment.

Every self-improvement effort ever attempted, began with an earnest commitment to what my Mom used to call stick-to-it-ive-ness. Often, we do pretty well in the beginning. At least until we are tempted. The strongest willed amongst us, those who possess powerful stick-to-it-ive-ness, can usually hold out for a while. I admire them.

But, all too often we all fall short. Why?

Well, it’s because we “can resist everything except temptation.”

Like I mentioned in my previous post, my friend Matt shared some wisdom with me that he picked up in one of his stints in rehab.

“If you don’t want to slip, don’t go where it’s slippery.”

Temptation is best managed through avoidance.

While doing some research on this topic, I actually came across a study that supports this. Published in the psychology journal Personality and Individual Differences, the authors assert that…

High trait self-control has been traditionally described as a keen ability to resist temptation. The present research suggests that high trait self-control is linked to avoiding, rather than merely resisting, temptation. People high in trait self-control reported engaging in behaviors thought to minimize (or avoid) temptation to a greater extent than people low in trait self-control.

I’m not sure about you, but I actually consider these findings really encouraging! I interpret this to mean that our success with any attempt at positive change in our lives has less to do with some magical super-power of self-control or iron willpower, and more to do with purposeful avoidance of slippery slopes.

Sure, we can all work to strengthen our powers of self-control, much like we explored in my previous note. But avoidance works better than resistance.

Don’t go where it’s slippery.

Seems simple enough, right? Sure, but successful avoidance will take some thought and planning. Remember… "always assume that you will slip.”

Acting on that assumption and being purposeful about how and where to avoid temptation is a subject for future discussion. I’ll share some thoughts about that it in my next missive – “Don’t Go Where It’s Slippery.”

Until then, let’s take a look at how our current thoughts, behaviors, and environment might be leading us to slipperier slopes than they should. If, like Lord Darlington, we “can resist everything except temptation”, and that avoidance is more successful than resistance, what can we do now to seek out and find firmer footing?

Last edited:
Yeah not being here would be a good start.

Yeah not being here would be a good start.

what Ziret said ;)
As I read it, I was half expecting you to use your essay as an anouncement that you were leaving us.

But to be totally free from temptation one would have to stay off the internet... as even if you never visit Reverb again or any other music site again, you'll still get ads for ukuleles

Last edited:
No, I didn't write that, got it in some self improvement email. Hasn't worked yet...I'm still here.

I fully embrace my lack of resistance, especially when it comes to bass ukes, I'm up to 25 now, converting a Jackson Dinky Minion neon pink guitar to a bass, which I picked up at Guitar Center on sale for $130. Keeps me occupied and active.

Jackson Neon pink.png

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers https://www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers/, www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Ya gotta want to change.

I have purchased two ukuleles after I vowed to not buy any more in 2018. Then I saw them listed in the Forum Marketplace and another site. And alas my resistance to temptation crumbled like a new crumb cake. (Redundant?)

Thank the stars that it is a new year. I can blame it all on 2019 being the: "Year of the pig." :p

EDW, Perfect videos for the subject.

Why is it "temptation" any way? As long as you are using a portion of discretionary income, you can afford the ukes. You are not hurting anyone buying them. Sellers make out that there is something naughty about buying a few ukes as part of a sales pitch.
If you can't afford the ukes and keep buying them, then you have a problem and you probably are hurting your family, then you need to get some real help from a qualified doctor, not a bulletin board.
Oscar Wilde was talking about actual vices. Buying ukuleles is not a vice. Spending money you don't have is a vice.
As I have posted before, you can save a lot of money and spend more time on actual music if you focus on actual music instead of effectively seeing the instruments as wooden sculptures. Make a set list of 20 songs you sang along with on the radio over your lifetime. Do the work to learn how to play them, which may include learning a lot of pieces you find boring or don't like, and play your set list. In parallel keep adding tunes you like to a list so you can keep a rolling set list of 20 tunes. Explore the sound of music and its building blocks and your brain will never have time for UAS. A pile of 40 hardcopy music books or 100 music sheets will easily fit in most houses and does not need humidifying or much care, apart from careful handling and a dry place. It also does not need electricity or WiFi or learning a computer game to read it. You can spend almost 100% of your musical recreation time playing or arranging the music with a book and a reasonable instrument, instead of 10% on playing and arranging and 90% playing computer games and finding pretty wood and talking about the warmness of the strings.

serious buzz kill :D

Top Bottom