Long term Uke storage

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Retiring to east coast of Canada in July. Next January going to Australia for four months. Four solid wood tenors. I can only take one. Suggestion for storage and himidification.

Currently, use oasis in sound hole. 1-2 D’Addario two way humidification packs and a humistat for guitar. The round one. Any idea best way to keep investment protected.

Anyone know how long three D’Addario pack would keep a Uke safe to 40%HH

Thank

I use the Oasis. I have a Kamaka and a Kanilea Tenor. If I'm going to be away for any length of time during the winter months I have a friend who takes care of the uke I don't take with me.

Thank you so much for the reference to Musik tent. I have to try this. I’ve got the time to tweak it and get humidity correct before my trip. UU is a great resource.

You can make the music tent for fraction of the price. You can buy the same Peva hanging storage bags at the container store: https://www.containerstore.com/s/peva-hanging-storage-bags/d?productId=10000081&q=Peva

They also sell the clothes hanging “S” hooks at the container store that you can bend to hang your ukes with DIY paracord ukulele hangers. For the humidifier, I bought humidor beads in bulk on Amazon. The whole setup was easy, cheaper than the music tent, and it works pretty good.

I use the mother-in-la method when we go south for the cold Iowa winters and where the furnace seems to run constantly, sucking the moisture out of everything. We take our house plants and my two solid wood ukuleles to her house and put them in her walkout basement so she can water them every week. She actually does a better job than we do. When we come home both the plants and the ukuleles look better than they have all year.

Last edited:
Anyone know how long three D’Addario pack would keep a Uke safe to 40%HH

Thank

Although I didn't use a hygrometer, my D'Addario packs lasted through the winter of 2018. Then I stored them in ziplock bags and am using them now. Make sure case is sufficiently humidified and then put the Humidipaks in there.

Better than all the previous suggestions - send them to me. I will keep them a curio cabinet with some of my other solid top instruments.
Hygrometer and daily monitoring when I practice the new song (current new song is Rainbow Connection)
I will even take your instruments out occasionally and play them to help them feel loved.
When you return, I will send them back in the postage-prepaid boxes you provide!

Like I said, clearly the best solution! :p

DanY, thank you for direction. What amount of humidor beads would a guy use for a 4-6 month window and do you just put them in the bottom of Peva bag and add water?

Its not clear on MUSIK TENT how their water bottom looking container that you put the distilled water into lets the moisture out. They mention a wic? Anybody know how this work.

Good suggestion. I may seek out PEVA bag locally and try a do it yourself version and see how it stands up. I have the time.
Thanks

Top Bottom