Thinking of buying a Pono Tenor PTOE

pickerpete

Reaction score
New to this forum but I like what I'm seeing--even ordered a UU tee-shirt.:D
Anyway, I am close to pulling the plug on a Pono Tenor O series PTOE uke
(it has an under saddle pickup) from the music guy on Ebay.

Does anyone have any experience with this uke or the Pono folks? How's the quality of the pickup? If you've ordered from the Musicguy how was the service and how long did it take for the shipment to arrive? Looks like he's sending it from Hawaii.

Sorry if this has been addressed before if so kindly direct me to the proper post.

Last edited:
I dont know much about ponos except that they are exceptional instruments. The sound quality is amazing. Now I do know something about pick ups. The under-saddle pickup is the best way to go if you are looking for a pick-up. pono places there input right on the but of the uke which is the prime place for it to be. Other ukulele companys place the input at an angle on the bottom right side of the uke. This is a bad place for it to be because if you are sitting down and holding the uke properly, it is nearly impossible to have a cord there for the pick up.

Musicguymic is the best seller for ukuleles on the web. hands down. His service is incredible. he even sets up the uke himself. He almost always gives a free case with your uke, a chordbook, or other goodies. You will never find an easier place to buy a uke, minus your local uke store. If you buy off of the web, buy from him.

Hi Pete.

Pono PTO is a nice uke. I tried one a while ago. Wasn't quite for me, but it was very nice. Nicely made and finished. Very good quality for the price.

MGM is UU's favourite dealer. I've not had the pleasure of doing business with him myself (not geographically handy), but the feedback from his many customers here has been overwhelmingly spectacular. Everybody loves him.

Whatever led you to make those choices did you a good turn. Looks like you're set up to have some fun. :D

Welcome to UU. :shaka:

If you plan on using the pickup for gigs, get the preamp as well. This way, you'll have more sound and control. I'm sure Mike has them as well.

Enjoy! :shaka:

I have two Ponos, both tenors - a cedar top and a solid mango. I had a few quality control issues with the cedar - nothing that affected playability or sound, but annoying for an expensive uke. Nothing wrong with the mango, however.

Both have a nice sound, but very different from one another. I tend to play my Kala cedar top more because it has a brighter sound, so I'm considering selling my Pono to help finance some other purchases.

Top Bottom