Newly bought ukes - changing to low G tuning

lexxmexx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a stupid question here and probably had been asked before.

For those of you who had tune your newly bought ukuleles to low G, did you change just the G string or the entire set?

many times I've changed a low G :shudder: to high G and typically, I just change the one offensive string.

Also depends on the uke for me. If it's one I suspect has been hanging in a showroom for months / years I'll change the whole set as they'll likely need it. If it's workshop-fresh just the one string.

For me, it depends on the uke and string choices. If I'm brightening up a warm uke strung with fluorocarbons with something like an unwound Aquila red low G, I'll probably change the other strings as well.

As long as your strings are reasonably new and the string set isn't too at odds with the low G string you intend to use, changing just the G string should be easier. You'll probably find that the low G will require more frequent replacement than the other strings anyways.

I've changed out the entire set, when I have wanted to put a new type of strings on the uke. I've also changed out just the one string, if I'm happy with the current string set. There, how's that for indecisiveness. :)

I bought a whole set with low G included (Aquila Supergut), but as I just had put a fresh re-entrant set on my Tenor (d'Addario Titanium) I just switched out the high G for the red. Well after a while it turned out that I did not like Titaniums at all so switched out the remaining three for the Aquilas. That was about four or five years ago and they are still holding up well. So it really depends on the set. If your low G is from a different brand than what you have on now it may not fit in well so change the whole set, if the low G is from the same set as the high G then just change the one string.

Normally, I change all four, but mainly because I'm changing to a different string set as well, (for me, Living Water fluorocarbon low G concert strings).

But if you are happy with the strings that came with it, (Aquila usually), you can just change the one string, (maybe to an Aquila Red low G string).

I usually change the whole set to my "go to" Living Waters Low-G set. I use that as a baseline because I have them on several tenors and know the sound I like. Then I move from there to alternative strings if the LWs don't work well.

My Martin T1 IZ is an example: It came with a set of Martin Nylon strings on it. I replaced those with a set of LW Low-G. It sounded dull. Almost muffled. But I used them for two weeks. Still not happy. Replaced those with a set of Oasis bright Low-G strings. Included a wound G. Hated them. Took them off the next day. Put on a set of D'Addario Fluorocarbons. Nope. Then I installed a set of Freemont Blackline Fluorocarbon Low-Gs. Pretty close. I'm playing them for now. But I think I need to go a little brighter. The Martin IZ is a little "boomy" for me. I'll try Martin fluorocarbons next.

I may even wind up going to re-entrant to get the sound I want.

I had good luck with a set of low G Worth clear strings on my Kamaka tenor.

It's great to see so many different opinions on this topic. My new tenor came with Aquila Super Nylgut strings which I am intending to keep. Which low G strings should I get to match with these?

It's great to see so many different opinions on this topic. My new tenor came with Aquila Super Nylgut strings which I am intending to keep. Which low G strings should I get to match with these?

When I switched to Super Nylgut the low-G package included a red string, but a couple of years ago they changed and now the new sets include a wound string. I like the red a lot because it sounds similar to the super nylguts, does not change tone over time, does not make squeaky noise, and does not wear out like wound strings. I think they can be ordered as a single string too.

Top Bottom