"Hone A Ka Wai" Solo Ukulele & Tab

Camsuke

Reaction score
Written by Ernest Kai'ai (1881-1962) A most eminent and influential figure in Hawaii in the early 20th Century. A gifted writer & musician, known in Honolulu as the "Father of the ukulele" and said to have been the first musician to play a complete melody with chords on the ukulele :D

What a beautiful rendition of a beautiful song! Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks, beautiful. Is that Anuenue clear water strings you're using?

That is very beautiful Campbell. I am not that au fait with hawaiian ukulele music but after this I feel I may search out some more to listen to. Really nice touch and feel in the playing. I like the way you are teasing the timing to get the best possible musical feeling. Great stuff!
Not sure what the one star is all about!!!!!!!
Mike

Indeed, that was a beautiful performance of a beautiful song. I'm not familiar with the composer, but I would look forward to hearing more of his compositions, and more of your playing. Thanks for sharing this.

Indeed, that was a beautiful performance of a beautiful song. I'm not familiar with the composer, but I would look forward to hearing more of his compositions, and more of your playing. Thanks for sharing this.
John King's book "Famous Solos & Duets for the Ukulele" has several arrangements of Ernest Ka'ai songs (including a somewhat simpler version of "Hone A Ka Wai"). I can play the King version decently but I'm going to have to spend some time before I can handle Campbell's masterpiece!

John King's book "Famous Solos & Duets for the Ukulele" has several arrangements of Ernest Ka'ai songs (including a somewhat simpler version of "Hone A Ka Wai"). I can play the King version decently but I'm going to have to spend some time before I can handle Campbell's masterpiece!

Great! I think you just showed us "how it's done"

Thanks Larry & Laurence :)

Wow! Really beautiful Campbell.

thank you for sharing with us,
Beth

Well, as usual, that was wonderful! You have such a beautiful touch on the strings and your playing never disappoints!

Hi Campbell. I just downloaded your tab and will play through it later when I put a high G on my Ukulele. Such a great piece of music. I love finding pieces that I have never heard of played so beautifully. Will try and look up more Ernest Ka'ai songs in the near future.

Thanks for this,
Mike

Hi Campbell. I just downloaded your tab and will play through it later when I put a high G on my Ukulele. Such a great piece of music. I love finding pieces that I have never heard of played so beautifully. Will try and look up more Ernest Ka'ai songs in the near future.

Thanks for this,
Mike

That's great Mike, it's a beautiful song as are many of Ka'ai's tunes, I believe the fact that they were conceived & written on a ukulele makes them even more special :)

Top Bottom