Mahogany soprano choices??

Astein2006

Reaction score
I’m in the market for an all solid mahogany soprano. I have been considering a build by Rob Collins but the build date is roughly May into July. I have been considering the Martin S1 also. The Kiwaya KTS 4 is out of what I want to spend. Trying to keep it under $500 I like my ukuleles plain. I’m not interested in vintage ukes. I like to make my own memories and marks. I like classic looks and wood choices. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Any other builders I’m not thinking about please chime in. I’ve seen Wunderkammer ukes also and those intrigue me also.

Thanks all!

Used Kiwaya KTS-4 in UU marketplace for under $400 currently.

Used KTS-4 are about $400. I'd get that.

Ohana SK-39, other Ohana models are nice too SK-28. Mim carries them.
Jake Shimabukuro super soprano line is pretty good though laminate.
Spruce House also makes a lightly built soprano and does Mahagony as well.

+1 for that used KTS-4. With the Gotoh tuners and hard shell case, that's a decent deal.
I have three other solid hog sopranos, a Mainland, an Ohana SK-28 and a Bruko No. 6. I'd be happy to trade all three for that KTS-4... even though I already own one.

I think you'd find that waiting fro Rob Collins or Liam Kirby of Wunderkammer was worth it. The other ukes mentioned are nice, but don't have that indefinable extra from a good builder.

Mainlands are nice and very well priced.

A brand new is listed for $419 at a couple of sites, but "Out of Stock." Someone must have some available.

Penny Lane has one. I've bought from them, and they're very good.
https://pennylaneemporium.com/produ...-solid-mahogany-soprano-ukulele-with-gig-bag/

Most of the mahogany sopranos I came across are Kala and Ohana.

Dat'snotta Kiwaya KTS-4, it's a Martin ;)

I think the lowest price I've seen for a new Kiwaya KTS-4 is $607 at Uke Republic.
Second hand they typically price in $400-$500. Sometimes they dip below $400 and are usually snapped up pretty quickly at those prices, from what I've seen watching them over the past 9 months or so.

Last edited:
I think the lowest price I've seen for a new Kiwaya KTS-4 is $607 at Uke Republic.
Second hand they typically price in $400-$500. Sometimes they dip below $400 and are usually snapped up pretty quickly at those prices, from what I've seen watching them over the past 9 months or so.

Yes, that is typically what I have seen as well. Amazing price for a killer instrument

Dat'snotta Kiwaya KTS-4, it's a Martin ;)

The KS-5 is not solid, but it's a "solid" uke for a good price. I bought one, encouraged by a review by Baz. If I recall, I added Gotoh tuners.

Last edited:
The KTS-5 is not solid, but it's a "solid" uke for a good price. I bought one, encouraged by a review by Baz. If I recall, I added Gotoh tuners.

Looking online, it seems prices have shot up. I bought a new one from Elderly for $312 a little over a year ago and sold it for $265. Now they are listed for considerably more.
https://www.elderly.com/kiwaya-kts-5-soprano-ukulele-recent.htm

The KTS series are solid instruments, while the KS are laminate. You can see specs here under the Eco and Artist series instruments

http://takumiukulele.com/product_cat/kiwaya-ukuleles/

The KTS-5 is not solid, but it's a "solid" uke for a good price. I bought one, encouraged by a review by Baz. If I recall, I added Gotoh tuners.

Looking online, it seems prices have shot up. I bought a new one from Elderly for $312 a little over a year ago and sold it for $265. Now they are listed for considerably more.
https://www.elderly.com/kiwaya-kts-5-soprano-ukulele-recent.htm

KS = laminated mahogany
KTS = solid mahogany

KS sopranos are wonderful things as well. On the second hand market one can get them pretty cheap. I picked up a KS-1 earlier this month for $150. They're very well made, light as feathers, made in Japan, and they sound great. But they're very plain looking and the finish is not as fussy as that on the KTS sopranos.

There are also the Famous FS sopranos, Famous being a Kiwaya brand name in Japan. I haven't seen many for sale here in the US, but for some reason, they seem to be even less expensive even though, from what I've read, they're the same uke as the KS-5.

Last edited:
I've been happy with my Ohana solid mahogany ukes.

Concert scale long neck soprano
Tenor scale giraffe neck soprano
Tenor scale long neck concert

I don’t play soprano; although my first ukulele was a KoAloha soprano. “If” I were to buy a mahogany soprano, it would be a Timms, “if” I could find one. I realize a Ken Timms is out of your price range, but how does a Rob Collins compare? ...if that is a sound you want. If it is a favorable comparison, it would probably be be worth the wait. 4-6 months is not that long, especially if you end up with a lifetime ukulele.

John

I’m in the market for an all solid mahogany soprano. I have been considering a build by Rob Collins but the build date is roughly May into July. I have been considering the Martin S1 also. The Kiwaya KTS 4 is out of what I want to spend. Trying to keep it under $500 I like my ukuleles plain. I’m not interested in vintage ukes. I like to make my own memories and marks. I like classic looks and wood choices. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Any other builders I’m not thinking about please chime in. I’ve seen Wunderkammer ukes also and those intrigue me also.

Thanks all!

At the risk of being the only one in this thread to comment on the Martin S-1 that you mentioned, I would definitely keep that one in mind. Solid mahogany, great build and in the price range you are in. I don't own one but have had a chance to check it out. I do own one of the Mexican tenors from the same plant and the built quality and sound is excellent.

Top Bottom