CITIES restrictions questions??

Astein2006

Reaction score
So I’ve been looking at some UK builders to build me a mahogany soprano, rosewood fingerboard etc. Due to CITIES restrictions they have offered me alternative woods. Let’s say I have them build me a mahogany version and then have them mail it to my relative who
Lives in England. Can my relative then ship it to me? In sense circumventing this. Is it only the builder and seller that is beholden to the restrictions or are private citizens also bound by these restrictions?

My understanding is that private citizens are also bound by the CITES restrictions.
Jan D.

You'd still be bound by these restrictions. You may be able to get away with it if you want to assume the risk.

There are exceptions for traveling with personal instruments. That doesn't sound like what you're talking about, but if you're carrying it you're likely to slip through. I've never been questioned carrying a personal instrument across US-Canada or US-Mexico borders, but I still avoid bringing ones with CITES restricted woods. Shipping may be more likely to trigger an inspection and get noticed.

I looked into this some before buying a guitar in Canada to bring back to the US, and figuring out the regulations and procedures was complicated enough that I gave up and purchased a different one that had already been legally imported. Practically speaking I doubt I'd have had any issues, but I'm not the smuggling type.

See the "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Guidance for Traveling Musicians" [/FONT] and "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Sale and Purchase of Instruments by Individuals" sections in [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/questions-and-answers-appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf .[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

Yes, you would still have to adhere by the CITES restrictions. It is fine to post within your own country (or EU, for the moment) but outside of that you'd have to either apply for the license or take the risk, regardless of whether it is posted for personal or commercial reasons :(

As already said, only personally travelling with your instrument is excluded.

It would help to know what country you live in. Presuming you live in the US, you are bound by the CITES restrictions, but from my experience, chances are, they will not confiscate a single instrument upon arrival in the US, especially if the customs form simply lists "ukulele". And as above mentioned, the rules are supposed to change this spring.

Don’t risk it. I even now only bring my Martin OX Bamboo uke with non Rosewood fretboard across borders.

Petey

Top Bottom