NUD Maui Music SK Soprano

raffrox

Reaction score
This was an interesting one. I bought it online after seeing 4 sort of clear photos and not knowing how new/old it might be.

I think I got myself a bargain looking at other Mau Music ukes I've seen online. Got it for $400 Australian which is about $290 USD.

It looks and feels to be a uke with a bit of age and has the minimalist finish and styling that Peter's earlier ukes (pre-fire) have but happy to hear if anyone knows how old it is from the serial number (00-9331).

Has the projection that a nice Hawaiian koa soprano has but also has a real resonance to it as if the body is bigger than what it is.

Has a few play marks on it and a bit of a finish scratch in the neck but otherwise I'm pretty happy with this one.

thumbnail.jpgpic 1 MM.jpgpic 2 MM.jpg

Looks really nice. Also looks to be in very good condition.

That back is really pretty and sounds like you're liking the sound?

Thanks. Yeah, I'm liking the sound. I'm still getting my head around how I describe ukes/instruments but to me the resonance and sustain are bang on.

I've owned an old Kumalae and I've got another koa soprano but this seems more nuanced with what you can do with it as well as being loud and bright.

Congratulations! I've never heard of that make, how old is it?

Thanks Jerry and Nickie :)

I think it's a bit younger than that. I'm guessing older than the 80's-90's but pretty much just a guess.

rainbow21, thanks for the idea. I've messaged Peter on his Facebook page to see if I can find out.

Cheers!

Thanks Bill.

Peter/the Maui Music Facebook page got back to me super quickly with the date the uke was made.

00-9331 means the uke was made in September 2000 and was number 331 for the year.

Just for others that might be trying ot date a Maui Music uke, the Ukulele Review site says that the Maui Music fire that happened was on the 27 of December 2000 so this would make this a 'pre-fire' uke. I've played it against the AnueNue 1879 Vision koa soprano that I've got that I thought was punchy and loud and this uke is in another ball park. If all Maui Music ukes are like this then I'd recommend them pretty highly!

Congratulations on this superb pre-fire Maui Music Soprano. I also own a similar Pre-fire Maui Music Soprano, just with some additional bling on it. I absolutely love the sound of this instrument. You got it for a great price!!!

Top Bottom