A KoAloha tuner question

Gmontema

Reaction score
I just got a new KoAloha soprano and it is a fantastic sounding uke. It’s brand new, but it’s a pre-2016 model (likely with original strings).

So my issue is that I’m having trouble tuning the c string and getting it just right. Basically, a very slight twist makes it way too sharp and then I have to try again. After some research, I read that some switch to Gotoh tuners. So my questions to you all: 1) could this be an old string issue? 2j how can one tell if the tuner is the issue? 3) what could one expect if they switch from the KoAloha tuners to the gotoh ones? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks and happy playing!

I have a KoAloha concert and had the same issues with the friction tuners. My instrument is currently in the shop having a set of Gotoh planetary tuners installed. I have Gotohs on my aNueNue tenor and I like them a lot. I expect that my KoAloha will be a lot easier to tune as soon as I get it back with the new tuners.

You might try lubricating the nut. Pop the C string out of the nut slot and mark the inside of the nut slot with a pencil.
The graphite from the pencil will allow the string to slide through the slot a little easier.

What can happen is the string "catches" on the nut, so you add a little extra tension, and then it moves, making it sharp.

Loosen the string completely and make sure the tuner turns smoothly in both directions. If it's not turning smoothly, tuning will be difficult. I don't like friction tuners, but I'm going to leave the originals on my KoAlohas. Gotohs are great! Have them installed by someone who has done that job before and knows what he's doing. You can get the knobs in an amber color similar to the KoAloha knobs.

It's generally best to tune the string from loose to tight, rather than the other way around.

Last edited:
I have done the switch over from friction tuners to Gohto UPT and it is great. I also have ukuleles that came with UPT and I really love them, so easy to use and so precise.

I have a KoAloha concert and had the same issues with the friction tuners. My instrument is currently in the shop having a set of Gotoh planetary tuners installed. I have Gotohs on my aNueNue tenor and I like them a lot. I expect that my KoAloha will be a lot easier to tune as soon as I get it back with the new tuners.

I’d love to hear how it works out for you. Good luck!

You might try lubricating the nut. Pop the C string out of the nut slot and mark the inside of the nut slot with a pencil.
The graphite from the pencil will allow the string to slide through the slot a little easier.

What can happen is the string "catches" on the nut, so you add a little extra tension, and then it moves, making it sharp.

Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a low impact way to resolve.

Loosen the string completely and make sure the tuner turns smoothly in both directions. If it's not turning smoothly, tuning will be difficult. I don't like friction tuners, but I'm going to leave the originals on my KoAlohas. Gotohs are great! Have them installed by someone who has done that job before and knows what he's doing. You can get the knobs in an amber color similar to the KoAloha knobs.

It's generally best to tune the string from loose to tight, rather than the other way around.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated!

Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a low impact way to resolve.

agreed - do the least drastic thing first. If the graphite doesn't work, trying new strings would be next, IMO.

As far as friction tuners go, the KoAloha ones aren’t bad. But friction tuners requiring a lot of fiddling and it’s a nuisance. I’ve switched a couple instruments to Gotoh. Here’s what to expect:

First, you have to widen the holes because Gotohs are thicker than your friction tuners. Either hire someone or be brave as you carve or drill your headstock.

Once you have the hole big enough, installation is a cinch.

And once you have the gotohs installed, you’ll find they hold their intonation for a much longer prior of time. And when you do need to tune, a slight twist will take you to the pitch you need the first time. The constant tiny twist and over compensation that you’re dealing with now won’t happen.

Good luck!

As far as friction tuners go, the KoAloha ones aren’t bad. But friction tuners requiring a lot of fiddling and it’s a nuisance. I’ve switched a couple instruments to Gotoh. Here’s what to expect:

First, you have to widen the holes because Gotohs are thicker than your friction tuners. Either hire someone or be brave as you carve or drill your headstock.

Once you have the hole big enough, installation is a cinch.

And once you have the gotohs installed, you’ll find they hold their intonation for a much longer prior of time. And when you do need to tune, a slight twist will take you to the pitch you need the first time. The constant tiny twist and over compensation that you’re dealing with now won’t happen.

Good luck!

Thanks for the guidance. Joel makes the install look manageable: https://vimeo.com/123455918

Hopefully, I don’t have to go that route!

I don't know why there's so little love for friction tuners. I get along just fine with them on the soprano and concert ukuleles I own that have them. :confused:

I do have one soprano with Gotoh UPTs and I honestly don't see all that big an improvement with them.

If you really want problems dealing with friction tuners - try them on a steel string banjo ....they drive ya nuts!

I wonder why KoAloha done coffer UPT. I do know HMS will put UPT on for anyone and since the stock either friction or geared tuners don’t have a set screw (look at pics on back of tenor) a conversion would be fast and easy. joe doe a nice video. I had and early Sapele Opio and Remo Ed it. But, if I were to get a KoAloha tenor I. Fiputure id get the UPT. That said the geared on tenors are just fine. I think for soprano just get UPT and avoid the aggravation of friction. Lots of people above give positive reviews for UPT. Good luck

In the last 2 months, I personally switched 2 of my KoAlohas from the original tuners to Gotoh UPT. It makes tuning much easier. I regret why I didn't switch them sooner.

Thanks for letting me know. Did you do it yourself?

taro-10.jpg

I went with Gotoh UPTs because I suffered the pain X 8!!!
Installed by Jake Wildwood who did a lot of other work on the instrument.

On other instruments I have done some minor work on the nut. I was warned to pay attention to the shape of the nut slot. Square might introduce buzz. V might bind (like you are experiencing). Using a proper nut slot file with a round profile was the recommended way to go.
While you are trying the Graphite solution, see if you can determine what shape the bottom of the slot is.

Gmontema, I might be missing something, and if so I apologize in advance, but I have found, with friction tuners, that the most effective way to utilize them is this: whenever I want to adjust the pitch of a given string, I always begin by cranking the note DOWN to a level that's well below the note I actually want it to be tuned to, and then I tune it UPWARD (with plenty of turning room to spare) until it hits the precise pitch. That way, I feel like I have ample leeway in coaxing the string up to the correct pitch, rather than starting real close to the final pitch and doing a lot of "Oops, too high; oops, too low; darn, too high again; what the... too low again..." So, to summarize, bring it down a generous amount, and then slowly crank it back up to where it ultimately needs to be. Also, make sure the tension screws on your friction tuners are just tight enough to keep the peg from rotating backwards, PLUS just a little extra turn to insure their staying power-- but you don't want to tighten them TOO much. After a while, you'll get the hang of being able to feel when all 4 are tightened just about the same, and just about right.

Gmontema, I might be missing something, and if so I apologize in advance, but I have found, with friction tuners, that the most effective way to utilize them is this: whenever I want to adjust the pitch of a given string, I always begin by cranking the note DOWN to a level that's well below the note I actually want it to be tuned to, and then I tune it UPWARD (with plenty of turning room to spare) until it hits the precise pitch. That way, I feel like I have ample leeway in coaxing the string up to the correct pitch, rather than starting real close to the final pitch and doing a lot of "Oops, too high; oops, too low; darn, too high again; what the... too low again..." So, to summarize, bring it down a generous amount, and then slowly crank it back up to where it ultimately needs to be. Also, make sure the tension screws on your friction tuners are just tight enough to keep the peg from rotating backwards, PLUS just a little extra turn to insure their staying power-- but you don't want to tighten them TOO much. After a while, you'll get the hang of being able to feel when all 4 are tightened just about the same, and just about right.

Hahaha! I have been doing the too high, too low thing. I will definitely try your 1 step back, before 2 steps forward approach. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Top Bottom