VIDEO- How to sharpen and use a Card Scraper

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
In this video, I show how I prepare (which i incorrectly term "sharpen", but who cares) and use a card scraper (also known as a cabinet scraper) to be used on figured and non figured woods- Figured Walnut, Figured maple, and Oregon tiger myrtle.

The brand i'm using here (for the burnisher and scraper is Two Cherries, but any good, established brand are good.- really cheap scrapers are not as good.

Whatever did we do before diamond stones? We had the India Norton combination. The 'fine' side was 400 grit and got me through college and a furniture making business. If I go beyond 1000 it is pure vanity because I have a sanded finish to my instruments and a super fine edge is only for those who finish 'off the tool' like those talented violin makers. Was taught by on old cabinetmaker called Stan Thomas how to sharpen a scraper and it involved a folded hem of his apron and a gouge. He very kindly sent me a model of a display cabinet 3 corner mitre -a real engineering in wood trick to challenge any Japanese woodworker!

Whatever did we do before diamond stones? We had the India Norton combination. The 'fine' side was 400 grit and got me through college and a furniture making business. If I go beyond 1000 it is pure vanity because I have a sanded finish to my instruments and a super fine edge is only for those who finish 'off the tool' like those talented violin makers. Was taught by on old cabinetmaker called Stan Thomas how to sharpen a scraper and it involved a folded hem of his apron and a gouge. He very kindly sent me a model of a display cabinet 3 corner mitre -a real engineering in wood trick to challenge any Japanese woodworker!

As a cabinet maker many moons ago we sharpened all our plane irons and chisels on an oil stone then stropped the burr off on the palm of our hand, no health and safety then!

And no 'professional' plane sharpeners making 'content' on YouTube that is quite frankly impractical and often just wrong. It's amazing how the pain and simple, exciting concepts expressed by James Krenov nearly 50 years ago have evolved into a new way of making money... I know of one such 'demonstrator' who has never made a piece but has a whole library of instructional DVDs tat show you how to make components but never a finished piece. Good luck to them. Meeting Stan Thomas was an incredible honour and an amazing chance happening. He was an all-time great Welsh cabinet maker.

Top Bottom