PDA

View Full Version : Color of Tuner Knobs

Jerryc41
02-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Given the choice, what color knobs would you prefer on your tuners? I prefer amber and black. Naturally, the color takes a back seat to how well the tuners work.

White and silver would be my last choices.

Joe King
02-20-2019, 08:54 AM
For my tuners' knobs, I want only BLACK.

White tuner knobs look like it's a kid's uke to me. That ship has sailed a long time ago since I was a kinder.

Colored ones might be ok if the top is the same color.

Swamp Yankee
02-20-2019, 09:04 AM
Probably grained ivoroid.

UkingViking
02-20-2019, 09:25 AM
I just realize that I don't remember the colour of those on half my ukes.
I can follow that white plastic doesnt look to high class, I remember disliking it on my first ukulele.

In general I dont want the knobs to draw too much attention from the rest of the Ukulele. So either black or whatever metal colour the rest of the tuner has are the obvious choices.

On the right uke I am sure that amber, stone or some other material might look swell, but it would depend on the uke. The plain solution goes on most.

Brad Bordessa
02-20-2019, 09:30 AM
Neon anything.

kohanmike
02-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Any color, doesn't matter to me.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Rllink
02-20-2019, 09:44 AM
It isn't something I pay a lot of attention too. I guess I've just always thought that tuner knobs come in all shapes and colors. Whatever comes with the ukulele is what it is. I do not have a preference what color knob I'm turning.

Jim Hanks
02-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Neon anything.
I can't tell if that's serious :p

Pictures or it didn't happen

EDW
02-20-2019, 11:11 AM
https://www.magicfluke.com/v/vspfiles/photos/LucysTuners-2.jpg

:D

mikelz777
02-20-2019, 11:56 AM
I guess I don't notice them a whole lot unless they clash with the overall look of the uke. I dislike amber buttons. I'd either reject a uke that had them or I'd change them out. I had to look at my ukes to see what colors the buttons were because I was only certain on two of them. Two have black buttons, one has antique ivory, one has an antique metal and one has white. My favorite is probably black. My least favorite in the bunch are the white buttons but the look is kind of growing on me. They tie in to the white on the sound hole rosette. I'd change them out for another look but they don't look that bad and I'm not bothered enough to go through the added expense and effort.

Brad Bordessa
02-20-2019, 01:20 PM
I can't tell if that's serious :p

Pictures or it didn't happen

I wasn't sure if this was a wishes thread or a here-and-now thread. Don't say I didn't warn you. It will happen someday.

Joe King
02-20-2019, 01:23 PM
I wasn't sure if this was a wishes thread or a here-and-now thread. Don't say I didn't warn you. It will happen someday.

If they were neon in daylight but then also glow-in-the-dark, that might be cool. :cool:

Maybe also matching glow-in-the-dark fret marker dots on the face of the fretboard too. :)

Ukecaster
02-20-2019, 01:40 PM
........Maybe also matching glow-in-the-dark fret marker dots on the face of the fretboard too. :)

Just make sure the chatoyance points in the right direction :D

UkerDanno
02-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Kind of like koa myself...:D

Jerryc41
02-21-2019, 01:25 AM

Excellent! :D

Easily-swap-able knobs might be a good idea. Generally speaking, you can't swap them from tuner to tuner. I've seen watches with swap-able colored parts.

Jerryc41
02-21-2019, 01:27 AM
Just make sure the chatoyance points in the right direction :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=chatoyance&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS716US717&oq=chatoyance&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2895j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Supposedly, in the heyday of Cris Craft boats, all the screw head slots pointed in the same direction.

UkerDanno
02-21-2019, 02:53 AM
You could change the buttons on these, anyone know what brand they are? They came off of my Kanile'a...

CommonCurt
02-21-2019, 03:50 AM
You could change the buttons on these, anyone know what brand they are? They came off of my Kanile'a...

These are the same "brand" that Kala uses on their Elite's with open back tuners.
I've been trying to figure out what kind they are also.

Davoravo
02-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Sorry, hate amber. Like silver and black. Will tolerate white. Maybe gold.

mikelz777
02-22-2019, 06:00 PM
I just played my uke I thought had white buttons but it actually has ivory buttons. Maybe that's why I said I didn't mind them so much. Now that I look at them some more the look actually works well.

SpaceForRent
02-23-2019, 08:44 AM

Why go with crazy colors on friction tuners? Id think you would want those neon ears sticking out the side... ;)

Rllink
02-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Tuners in general, not just the knobs, I recently got a new ukulele and I did not particularly like the tuners. After a week they grew on me and I really like them now. It's like some foods that you didn't think you liked, but when you tried them you found out they taste good.

mikelz777
02-23-2019, 10:42 AM
Tuners in general, not just the knobs, I recently got a new ukulele and I did not particularly like the tuners. After a week they grew on me and I really like them now. It's like some foods that you didn't think you liked, but when you tried them you found out they taste good.

Is that an Ohana? My first all solid ukulele was a limited edition Ohana depicted on their website with open geared tuners. I was very excited about its look as shown on their web site. I looked for months to find one and finally was able to buy one. Once I finally got it in the mail I unboxed it and my heart dropped when I saw the tuners. They were exactly the big boxy tuners shown in the picture above rather than the open geared tuners I was expecting. I hated them! (and I still do) I contacted the dealer with my concern and they sent me a set of open geared tuners free of charge. I had the tuners changed out and they looked infinitely better and so much better suited to the overall look of the uke. I recently purchased another Ohana that came with tuners that were different than what was depicted on their website. Fortunately, the look works even though it's different. Why would they do that? Show it one way on their site then sell it with different hardware?

Rllink
02-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Is that an Ohana? My first all solid ukulele was a limited edition Ohana depicted on their website with open geared tuners. I was very excited about its look as shown on their web site. I looked for months to find one and finally was able to buy one. Once I finally got it in the mail I unboxed it and my heart dropped when I saw the tuners. They were exactly the big boxy tuners shown in the picture above rather than the open geared tuners I was expecting. I hated them! (and I still do) I contacted the dealer with my concern and they sent me a set of open geared tuners free of charge. I had the tuners changed out and they looked infinitely better and so much better suited to the overall look of the uke. I recently purchased another Ohana that came with tuners that were different than what was depicted on their website. Fortunately, the look works even though it's different. Why would they do that? Show it one way on their site then sell it with different hardware?

Yes, it is an Ohana Limited Edition. I can't say that I hated them, and I knew what the looked like when I bought it, so they were not a surprise, but I didn't think that I would particularly like them. But they grew on me. I think the match the ukulele well. So I'm happy with them.

UkerDanno
02-24-2019, 05:41 PM

I had an Ohana CK-80, I think it was, Port Orford cedar and myrtle back and sides, had the same tuners, I put on Grovers, they worked a lot better and I like the look of the open gears.

Put the gold blocky ones on a Makala Shark I gave to my grandson!

Bill Sheehan
03-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Great-lookin' Shark, Danno!