Music at Home

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I live in the Catskill Mountains, so my choice of radio stations is limited. I have a Lifetime subscription on an XM radio, but I don't want to keep moving it in and out of the car. Instead, I bought a Grace Mondo+ Internet radio a few years ago. That can play music through its speaker, but I have it connected to an little FM transmitter, and that sends the signal all across the property, so any radio can play what it's picking up. Naturally, I listen to Hawaiian music at times.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-5-W-05B-...h=item3d601689f5:g:WEgAAOSwYtla0HVU:rk:3:pf:0

The Grace radio stopped working after a couple of brief power failures, and they're repairing it (or replacing it) for a flat $33. In the meantime, I hooked up an old iPod with 29 hours of Hawaiian music. I'm all set. : )

Glad to hear your iPod is still working. Those batteries were kind of wonky and no way to replace them.

Most of my music comes off of my Google play and I listen to it on my phone through Bluetooth headsets. If I'm driving I either Bluetooth it through the car radio, or I listen to some oldies rock station. We have several of them.

I use apple music and download everything to my iphone so I can listen anywhere. I have 256 GB of storage on the phone so I don't even dent that

Glad to hear your iPod is still working. Those batteries were kind of wonky and no way to replace them.

Actually, it was easy to get a new battery, and it came with a free iPod. :D My iPod batteries have held up surprisingly well. I charge them every couple of months. The first one I bought (2005) still works.

That's one reason I like Samsung phones - very easy battery replacement.

Most of my music comes off of my Google play and I listen to it on my phone through Bluetooth headsets. If I'm driving I either Bluetooth it through the car radio, or I listen to some oldies rock station. We have several of them.

I have a 16GB flash drive about the size of my thumbnail. I plug it into the USB slot in my Honda Fit, and I have 192 selections of ukulele music available. I can also plug in a phone or iPod and listen to whatever I have on that. Still, I'm sorry to see the CD player disappear from cars. My 2015 Fit has one, but my son's 2019 doesn't. When I go to a uke event, I usually buy a CD or two, and I can listen to them in the car. Without a CD player, I would have to put them on the computer and then copy them to the flash drive.

You can play Sirius/XM through your computer, tablet, Amazon Echo/Dot, Google, or smart phone or smart tv(if internet connected).

Is that $10/month?
No, I can get it on android for free in the US. In PR I use my Amazon, which I can get with my Prime. I have maybe 60 songs that I have downloaded to my google play on my phone and I can access them without a connection. So I don't have a huge selection of songs that I have stored away. I listen to those sometimes in my car or out bicycling, running, etc, so I'm not using my data to stream. But if I have a wifi connection, at home, at the gym, or at the coffee shop, I stream it. I usually stream Bob Dylan Radio, Tom Waits Radio, or Margaritaville. Each of those do not necessarily have Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, or Jimmy Buffet songs, it is just that type of music. So for example, Bob Dylan Radio, you get a lot of different artists who are in some way similar to his music. Check out this link.
https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/6230658?hl=en

I also can get Amazon music unlimited through my prime, but of course, Prime costs.

At my house in Iowa I have an old record player and a pretty good selection of vinyl. My wife and I have lots of albums from our youth, and we still keep our eyes out at garage sales, pawn shops, and vintage record stores for albums to add to our collection. I suppose we have a hundred of them. One of the coffee shops that I play at is called The Vinyl Grind, and they sell vintage albums. I'm always coming out of there with something.
https://business.facebook.com/vinylcafeames/

Last edited:
It will be a sad day when I have to buy a car without a CD player.....I'll have to put in an after market one.....sure I run a few flashdrives with music on them....each has several hundreds of hours of music.....but my current vehicle system is not the best with finding songs I want,, so I just play it from one end to the other so to speak.....with CD's (and we have hundreds and I keep buying more) I toss a couple in the vehicle.....play and play until I tire and then replace with a couple of other ones.....In the house I run some internet radio WWOZ being a favorite....some regular radio KBEM, CD's...store a little music on my phone and via amazon and on the computer and tablet also....gave all my vinyl to my brother...he has enough records to open a small to medium store....have had XM radio in the vehicle but tired of their wonky pricing-sales on and off bs and told them what I as a customer wanted and they could take it or leave it.....guess my money was not good enough for them

life would be dull with music.......suppose I could get a harmonica harness and play while I drive....:cool:

I have all my CDs in my PC. I transfer album folders to any computers and tables at home and listen to them.

I got an email from Grace saying that my radio has been repaired, and it's on the way back to me. That was pretty quick. I suspect all they had to do was some kind of resetting.

In the car, I listen to CDs or IPod, (I still use an IPod Classic, which will recharge while it plays.)

At home, I usually use a Walkman digital music player, which can play a variety of formats, and with a micro card I added another 256 GB to the storage. They don't make the one that I have anymore, unfortunately, but it doesn't have any bells and whistles. It just plays music, and with better sound quality than my IPod, in a variety of formats. You can drag and drop the music onto the player, so no messing around with ITunes or some other software.

I sold my collection of vinyl ten years ago—the last time we moved. I listen to my CDs both at home and in the car. For longer trips, I connect my phone and play CDs I have loaded onto it. I also listen through ear buds while mowing the yard. I'll listen to NPR music from time to time in the car. We don't have good reception where I live.

I will listen to the music channels offered for free by our cable provider when I'm lazy and just want some background music to listen to while I work. It's fed through my stereo system. That's mostly how I find out about new performers and songs. Though the Internet is useful for that as well.

I just usually prefer listening to my own album programming rather than a canned lineup of songs.

Top Bottom