Martin M600 strings on a tenor??

Astein2006

Reaction score
So I had an extra set of M600’s and threw them on my Tenor because I wanted to change strings. I measured and they are long enough. Has anyone used M600’s on a tenor before? Or used strings meant for a concert or soprano on a Tenor given the string was long enough?

Yep, I have them on a tenor tuned down to Bb. Tension is on the low side as I prefer, but they could probably go up to C if desired

I have a Gold Tone tenor banjolele that I would like to play with 5ths strings. I have read before that concert strings
will fit a tenor, but I thought that the concerts would be too tight. Won’t the size difference matter?

I’m very interested in making this change. I hope the above posts are correct. Thanks for the help. :eek:ld:

When you take a concert string, and put it on a tenor, you must increase the tension of the string to compensate for the extra scale length.
But generally speaking, a tenor string will have larger diameter, and require even more tension in order to tune it to the same note.
So the end result is, a concert set of strings on a tenor produces less actual string tension than a tenor set of strings.
The downside (or upside depending on your perspective) will be that the concert strings on a tenor will be slightly more floppy than the tenor strings.

So: 'Down up Dick' (did I really just type that?), no worries about the strings being too tight. But you may not like that the strings end up being too loose.

When you take a concert string, and put it on a tenor, you must increase the tension of the string to compensate for the extra scale length.
But generally speaking, a tenor string will have larger diameter, and require even more tension in order to tune it to the same note.
So the end result is, a concert set of strings on a tenor produces less actual string tension than a tenor set of strings.
The downside (or upside depending on your perspective) will be that the concert strings on a tenor will be slightly more floppy than the tenor strings.

So: 'Down up Dick' (did I really just type that?), no worries about the strings being too tight. But you may not like that the strings end up being too loose.

Well, thanks for the info. The strings on the banjolele are brand new anyway. I’ll just leave well enough alone. :eek:ld:

I regularly use Concert strings on Tenor scale (incl the Martins) - no problem tuning to C.

Top Bottom