Interesting article on luthiers, wood selection, and player impact on tone

Gmontema

Reaction score
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-ukulele-gift-20171226-story.html

Six ukulele builders from around the world — including Fallbrook’s John S. Kinnard — were appointed a task. Using the same sheets of wood from two old-growth trees, the men were invited to build six identically sized tenor ukuleles using their own construction techniques and finishing details.

In November, all six instruments were flown to Hawaii, where they were played by the same musician to determine whether the builders’ individual craftsmanship influenced the sound or whether it was all in the wood.

The result? Although there were some minor differences in tonality when ukulele master Kimo Hussey played the six instruments, “they sounded more alike than they sounded different,” said Carlsbad resident Kevin Beddoe, who owns KinnardUkes

So, it seems that the timbre is in the timber.

John Colter.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-ukulele-gift-20171226-story.html

Six ukulele builders from around the world — including Fallbrook’s John S. Kinnard — were appointed a task. Using the same sheets of wood from two old-growth trees, the men were invited to build six identically sized tenor ukuleles using their own construction techniques and finishing details.

In November, all six instruments were flown to Hawaii, where they were played by the same musician to determine whether the builders’ individual craftsmanship influenced the sound or whether it was all in the wood.

The result? Although there were some minor differences in tonality when ukulele master Kimo Hussey played the six instruments, “they sounded more alike than they sounded different,” said Carlsbad resident Kevin Beddoe, who owns KinnardUkes

Aloha Gmontema,

You're a little late posting this ... as well as the San Diego Union Tribune. This took place quite some time ago ... but no worries. I'm sure many here on the UU missed it. Great cause, great luthiers, and great ukes.

Here's Andrew's (HMS/The Ukulele Site) video nterview and demos of all ukes for the Luthiers for a Cause:

https://vimeo.com/243931644

:shaka:

I don’t think UU missed it.
Uke Eddie here was one of the organizers.
Thats where I discovered Beau Hannam and have been following his work. Looking forward to my uke in the pipeline from him.

I don’t think UU missed it.
Uke Eddie here was one of the organizers.
Thats where I discovered Beau Hannam and have been following his work. Looking forward to my uke in the pipeline from him.

Ukulele Eddie is a wonderful person. He also has some of the finest ukuleles.

John

Well, I hadn't seen it before and I LOVE learning about woods and tone. Ty for posting!

Aloha Gmontema,

You're a little late posting this ... as well as the San Diego Union Tribune. This took place quite some time ago ... but no worries. I'm sure many here on the UU missed it. Great cause, great luthiers, and great ukes.

Here's Andrew's (HMS/The Ukulele Site) video nterview and demos of all ukes for the Luthiers for a Cause:

https://vimeo.com/243931644

:shaka:

Thanks for sharing that link. Fantastic sounds coming from those ukes. My ears are unable to discern much more beyond that. It’s a long but worthwhile video to watch. Anyone know what song Kimo was playing at the beginning?

Thanks for sharing that link. Fantastic sounds coming from those ukes. My ears are unable to discern much more beyond that. It’s a long but worthwhile video to watch. Anyone know what song Kimo was playing at the beginning?

"Just The Way You Are" by Billy Joel, from his 1977 album "The Stranger."

Masterfully played by Kimo. I have listened to him at the beginning of that Luthiers For a Cause video about fifty times. Also I tried to replicate it, quite unsuccessfully.

Top Bottom