I'm Showing Restraint

Genuinely curious, why would any one want this uke? Do the signature reproduction carry any emotional value for you? At least the IZ tenor has some very nice wood and tone. Not sure if this uke is a players uke..

I think that it is really interesting. I would like to have it for an hour or so, read all the names and stuff written on it, but for me, the novelty wears off pretty quick. But you know, buy what you want. If you do buy it Jerry, let me know how it plays. I would like to see the original.

betchya the original doesn't have that compensated bridge ;)

I was looking and reading about the original. You know, people pay more than that for art. If you are trying to justify it, you could frame it and consider it ukulele art. Just trying to help. I love spending other people's money.

I actually think it's pretty cool... It looks a bit like art to me...
I totally agree. It would look great hanging in a bistro or cafe. Great conversation piece.

Genuinely curious, why would any one want this uke?

Probably because it is as close as anyone can get to owning a famous ukulele. When you think of the history of this uke, it's truly amazing. It went to the North Pole with Admiral Byrd in 1926, that's aside from the signatures of the famous people. I believe this also comes with a book that tells the story more completely.

Sure, it's just a replica, but that's the best anyone can do for ownership. When you figure you can get a new Martin soprano for $419, giving this replica a list price of $2,500 is a bit arrogant.

I think it is calling out to you.

In the name of research, you owe it to us to try it out and report!!

I was thinking of getting one, but the signatures of both Kilroy and Alfred E. Neuman are conspicuously absent.

John- If you send it to me I have a Sharpie and can fix that

It could be a nice gift for a group purchase, to be donated to the library as part of a history teaching program and activity conducted by the library. Apart from the adventures of Admiral Byrd, there are all the famous people who signed it to study. And the study group could commission some artists to play it in concerts and make a CD to sell to help fund the project. You could have the annual Catskill BluesByrd Festival featuring guests playing the Byrd.

Excellent idea!

Top Bottom