What will be your SECOND ukulele?

Captain America

Reaction score
I'm curious what people START with (soprano?)

and what they then want to add (concert? tenor?)

Just wondering.

Soprano, followed by soprano, then another soprano - and so on for the last twenty-five years. I've tried concerts, tenors and even a small four string banjo, but for me, sopranos are where it's at.

John Colter

My history so far has been concert, concert, tenor (didn't like the size), concert, concert, concert, long neck soprano. In the middle of all that I tried a soprano or two but the scale was just too small for me so fortunately I didn't have to buy one to learn that lesson like I did with my tenor which was an expensive lesson. I sold a concert and the tenor so now I have 4 concerts and a long neck soprano.

tenor, concert (like the size better). Someone did a swap with me for the same uke dropping from the tenor to a concert. Love it!
Have a cheap soprano that I don't play much. The concert feels the best to me and I love the solid cedar top.

Started with tenor, then to baritone. Back and forth between those two sizes. Being a fingerpicking guitarist for over 45 years (my main love) would probably explain it.

Started with a cheap concert. My second was a better concert. The third was a soprano.

The first ukulele I ever bought was a soprano of some sort - I can't recall much about it. But it was a very inexpensive plywood job that I eventually replaced with my Kolohe concert in 2005. I still own that uke. I found then that I preferred the concert in just about every respect - and I'd have to say that concert ukuleles are still my favorite size, though I now own many ukuleles in soprano, tenor, and baritone as well. I'll try a sopranino at some point, but I think it will likely be in a store, as even sopranos can often feel too small to me. The only size I have that I really don't like that much is the baritone. Sorry - it's not ukulele-esque enough for my taste.

My first was a tenor that I had strung with Low G and it served well for several years as only uke. But eventually I wanted to have one with re-entrant strings, and a bit punchier tone for some songs so my second was a concert. Then I fell in love with the Lili'u tone and I got that as a third. My fourth is a work in progress and will be a concert in fifths tuning.

I started out on a tenor. My second 'ukulele was a soprano. I eventually sold both of them and have since settled on a combination of super concerts and tenors, but I might own another soprano one day.

Started with concert (various & sundrie brands). Wanted to try a tenor & God dropped one in my lap via a uke festival raffle. Didn’t like the size. Tried a few sopranos & one long-neck soprano. They were ok, but not as comfy as concert. Didn’t groove with the neck shape on the long-neck soprano. Finally whittled my herd down to an aNueNue Moon Bird concert & a KoAloha concert that I love. I have used a laminate Islander soprano for camping, but have decided to go all concert, and have a Kumu laminate concert on order.

My first is a concert, Fluke, just played last night. My second is a tenor, Koahola, low G. My third is a tenor, Godin Mulitiuk. My uke needs are met for a good long while.....I'd like to try a Martin Soprano some day.....

Crap soprano -> concert -> tenor -> durable tenor -> decent soprano -> electric tenor -> bass -> another tenor

The first three are slated to go away, and then I'll add a baritone.

Started with a soprano. Went to a tenor for more range and liked the size. Stopped playing the soprano and sold it a few years later. Have since added a few more tenors a couple of concerts and sopranos and a baritone. Still play the tenors the majority of the time.

John

Concert, tenor, pineapple concert (gone), tenor, concert, long-necked soprano (gone), tenor.

Started w soprano, then added a concert, then a tenor, then gave the concert to our son....then added a tenor, then a concert, and a baritone.....

I eventually sold a cheap tenor and the concert....added a tiny tenor. It and the bari get the most time. Only keeping the soprano because my wife likes to noodle on it once in awhile.

I started with a soprano because it looked like my Fender Telecaster guitar, but when I played it to prepare for the first Music Center Ukulele Play-Along over 5 years ago, I knew it wasn't right for me so I immediately went out and bought a tenor cutaway. In my first year I went through 16, then culled them to 4, and since I've added 5 (plus 25 bass ukes and mini bass guitars). All are cutaway.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Started with a tenor, as recommended by another forum's members, found it too much of a stretch, bought a pineapple soprano, too cramped, tried a concert, right scale for me. Found a long neck soprano, & spent most of my first 6 months using it.

Then UAS struck - several concerts, a tenor, (I could now manage the scale), a couple of electric. Then I started solid wood exploration, a solid spruce electro acoustic concert, a mahogany giraffe (tenor) neck soprano, & a mahogany long neck soprano. Even a couple of solid top baris, one cedar, & one spruce.

Then I found a mahogany long neck concert - well that did it for me - I'd found my kind of uke! :D
Along came a better quality solid acacia long neck concert - & my UAS stopped.

Concert, tenor, tenor, and as of Monday.....another tenor! All in 3 months. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I bought a cheap soprano in an ABC store on Maui in 2002. I didn't do much with it till I found a local group in about 2014. In 2015, I wanted something better and bought a KoAloha soprano. Now I have equal numbers of soprano, concert, and tenor.

Top Bottom