PDA

View Full Version : What will be your SECOND ukulele?

Captain America
02-21-2019, 08:13 AM
I'm curious what people START with (soprano?)

and what they then want to add (concert? tenor?)

Just wondering.

ukantor
02-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Soprano, followed by soprano, then another soprano - and so on for the last twenty-five years. I've tried concerts, tenors and even a small four string banjo, but for me, sopranos are where it's at.

John Colter

mikelz777
02-21-2019, 08:28 AM
My history so far has been concert, concert, tenor (didn't like the size), concert, concert, concert, long neck soprano. In the middle of all that I tried a soprano or two but the scale was just too small for me so fortunately I didn't have to buy one to learn that lesson like I did with my tenor which was an expensive lesson. I sold a concert and the tenor so now I have 4 concerts and a long neck soprano.

ripock
02-21-2019, 08:54 AM
I started with tenor and stayed with tenor.

captain-janeway
02-21-2019, 09:02 AM
tenor, concert (like the size better). Someone did a swap with me for the same uke dropping from the tenor to a concert. Love it!
Have a cheap soprano that I don't play much. The concert feels the best to me and I love the solid cedar top.

frets alot
02-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Started with tenor, then to baritone. Back and forth between those two sizes. Being a fingerpicking guitarist for over 45 years (my main love) would probably explain it.

Rllink
02-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Started with a cheap concert. My second was a better concert. The third was a soprano.

Swamp Yankee
02-21-2019, 09:58 AM
The first ukulele I ever bought was a soprano of some sort - I can't recall much about it. But it was a very inexpensive plywood job that I eventually replaced with my Kolohe concert in 2005. I still own that uke. I found then that I preferred the concert in just about every respect - and I'd have to say that concert ukuleles are still my favorite size, though I now own many ukuleles in soprano, tenor, and baritone as well. I'll try a sopranino at some point, but I think it will likely be in a store, as even sopranos can often feel too small to me. The only size I have that I really don't like that much is the baritone. Sorry - it's not ukulele-esque enough for my taste.

merlin666
02-21-2019, 10:59 AM
My first was a tenor that I had strung with Low G and it served well for several years as only uke. But eventually I wanted to have one with re-entrant strings, and a bit punchier tone for some songs so my second was a concert. Then I fell in love with the Lili'u tone and I got that as a third. My fourth is a work in progress and will be a concert in fifths tuning.

bacchettadavid
02-21-2019, 11:10 AM
I started out on a tenor. My second 'ukulele was a soprano. I eventually sold both of them and have since settled on a combination of super concerts and tenors, but I might own another soprano one day.

RafterGirl
02-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Started with concert (various & sundrie brands). Wanted to try a tenor & God dropped one in my lap via a uke festival raffle. Didn’t like the size. Tried a few sopranos & one long-neck soprano. They were ok, but not as comfy as concert. Didn’t groove with the neck shape on the long-neck soprano. Finally whittled my herd down to an aNueNue Moon Bird concert & a KoAloha concert that I love. I have used a laminate Islander soprano for camping, but have decided to go all concert, and have a Kumu laminate concert on order.

mjh42
02-21-2019, 12:06 PM
My first is a concert, Fluke, just played last night. My second is a tenor, Koahola, low G. My third is a tenor, Godin Mulitiuk. My uke needs are met for a good long while.....I'd like to try a Martin Soprano some day.....

Arcy
02-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Crap soprano -> concert -> tenor -> durable tenor -> decent soprano -> electric tenor -> bass -> another tenor

The first three are slated to go away, and then I'll add a baritone.

70sSanO
02-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Started with a soprano. Went to a tenor for more range and liked the size. Stopped playing the soprano and sold it a few years later. Have since added a few more tenors a couple of concerts and sopranos and a baritone. Still play the tenors the majority of the time.

John

Snargle
02-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Concert, tenor, pineapple concert (gone), tenor, concert, long-necked soprano (gone), tenor.

about2
02-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Started w soprano, then added a concert, then a tenor, then gave the concert to our son....then added a tenor, then a concert, and a baritone.....

I eventually sold a cheap tenor and the concert....added a tiny tenor. It and the bari get the most time. Only keeping the soprano because my wife likes to noodle on it once in awhile.

kohanmike
02-21-2019, 08:52 PM
I started with a soprano because it looked like my Fender Telecaster guitar, but when I played it to prepare for the first Music Center Ukulele Play-Along over 5 years ago, I knew it wasn't right for me so I immediately went out and bought a tenor cutaway. In my first year I went through 16, then culled them to 4, and since I've added 5 (plus 25 bass ukes and mini bass guitars). All are cutaway.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Croaky Keith
02-21-2019, 10:29 PM
Started with a tenor, as recommended by another forum's members, found it too much of a stretch, bought a pineapple soprano, too cramped, tried a concert, right scale for me. Found a long neck soprano, & spent most of my first 6 months using it.

Then UAS struck - several concerts, a tenor, (I could now manage the scale), a couple of electric. Then I started solid wood exploration, a solid spruce electro acoustic concert, a mahogany giraffe (tenor) neck soprano, & a mahogany long neck soprano. Even a couple of solid top baris, one cedar, & one spruce.

Then I found a mahogany long neck concert - well that did it for me - I'd found my kind of uke! :D
Along came a better quality solid acacia long neck concert - & my UAS stopped.

Canuckulele
02-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Concert, tenor, tenor, and as of Monday.....another tenor! All in 3 months. :rolleyes:

Jerryc41
02-22-2019, 12:54 AM
I bought a cheap soprano in an ABC store on Maui in 2002. I didn't do much with it till I found a local group in about 2014. In 2015, I wanted something better and bought a KoAloha soprano. Now I have equal numbers of soprano, concert, and tenor.

rickyfreeman
02-22-2019, 02:09 AM
I have never played soprano or concert. I have 2 tenors and a bajolele tenor scale. I am thinking of getting a baritone

Ukecaster
02-22-2019, 02:53 AM
I started playing ukes just over 2 years ago. I never really had an interest in them, but my first was gifted to me by a relative, a vintage soprano. That started it all. Then, after learning a bit on that one, and seeing the predominance of tenors being played, I wanted to try one of those, and got an Ohana TK-35G, which was a whole different ballgame. I still own and play both soprano and tenor ukes, but being a former guitar player, I find the tenor easier to play accurately. Recently, I got my first concert and am still exploring with that one. That said, there's still nothing like the sound of a good soprano.

mep1
02-22-2019, 02:57 AM
Never mind my second uke... what will be my 10th? LOL.

Actually, I started with a long neck Soprano and then bought a tenor, but I have everything from sopranino to a baritone (on order).

Swamp Yankee
02-22-2019, 03:00 AM
Never mind my second uke... what will be my 10th? LOL.

Right!?!
I think many respondents were thinking the same thing... Whaddya mean "second"???

John boy
02-22-2019, 06:07 AM
I started with a tenor years ago, but it was too small for me (I'm a lifelong guitar player). Particularly the upper frets are too close together for me to be able to play it very well, so I haven't used it very much. Recently I got a baritone which I love so much I have a hard time putting it down.

UkingViking
02-22-2019, 09:28 AM
I started with a concert, which got me hooked.

Then I bought a laminated mahogany pineapple soprano. Didnt like it very much, I am not sure if it was mostly the cramped scale for my big hands, or the less pristine sound of it. I later tried a nice solid Akacia soprano in a store and considered giving sopranos a second chance... But I never did. Yet.

Then I bought a Tenor. Koa Fluke, awesome sound.

Then I upgraded my concert to a solid wood one. Sounded good but didn't cover all my needs.

Then I bought a long neck soprano. Pretty fine uke.

Then one more tenor ukulele.

I find that I spend most playing time on the concert scales still, though my tenors both cost twice what my solid concert scale ukes did. Next time I need to upgrade to a high end concert. Or something in between concert and tenor.

kvehe
02-22-2019, 10:15 AM
My first was a Kala KA-S soprano from Amazon. About three hours after it arrived I ordered a Kiwaya KTC-3 concert.

Captain America
02-22-2019, 10:45 AM
My first was a Kala KA-S soprano from Amazon. About three hours after it arrived I ordered a Kiwaya KTC-3 concert.

Great story! :)

Davoravo
02-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Not really going to count my "first" as it was actually my son's, a soprano bought for $5 from goodwill. Convinced me I wanted a concert for myself but when i went to buy i bought a tenor as my first real one. I keep getting bigger, I am now looking at a baritone as my real second. Just trying to decide whether to get a cheap one to trial the size or go straight for a Pono.

glennerd
02-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Started with a long neck soprano (or soprano body concert if you want to talk in terms of scale). Really liked that uke but YouTube convinced me I needed a Tenor. Nice all solid acacia, but never grew on me. Then a concert - the size feels perfect. But I need that soprano sound and got to like the scale too, so ideally I’d keep it to two sopranos and a baritone (...as soon as I sell my sopranino). I struggle with including my U-bass as a ukulele but my wife insists it gets counted (how many ukuleles now?!). Yeah, that 2nd ukulele was about 12 ukuleles ago.:rolleyes:

frolicks
02-23-2019, 05:06 AM
The correct question here should have been „What WAS your second ukulele?“, of course...;-)

But to answer that (or the original) question: I started on a tenor. Switching to the ukulele from bass (guitar as well as upright), I was very sure I couldn‘t get along with anything smaller. Accordingly, my second uke was a tenor as well, or rather: a super longneck Flea, i.e. a Flea with a tenor neck. I still have that one, whereas I sold my first one quite a while ago. I simply prefer the sound of a smaller body.
My third uke then was a longneck soprano (a Brüko, btw). And a friend here in Germany cured my anti-soprano bias with a sopranino: After noodling around for some time on a REALLY TINY sopranino, a standard soprano fretboard suddenly seems to be of nearly double-bass-like dimensions.

However, while I do own more than one soprano today (my vintage Martin style 0 being one of my very favourites), I still prefer the concert scale to the soprano. But speaking about longnecks: the soprano body with a concert or even a tenor neck is my preferred size above all others.