faint buzz

peanuts56

Reaction score
I have a Kamaka Tenor that was built in 2013. Recently after a string change I've noticed a very faint buzz on the E string. This happens only on the 2nd,3rd and 4th frets.
Any ideas on what may be happening?

Something similar happened to one of my ukes.....turned out a small screw on a tuner was loose. A couple of twists of the screwdriver fixed the problem. The screw was actually on the A string but the buzz sounded on the C string.

In my experience, it's better to get a buzz after changing the strings than before. When I'm buzzed it can take hours to change the strings. :rolleyes:

but seriously - as has been mentioned, check for loose screws. Also - could the uke be drying out? Is the humidity where it's stored at around 50%? If it's drying, the top can sink a bit, bringing the bridge and saddle down along with it. That alone can make buzzing where no buzzing was noted before.

but seriously - as has been mentioned, check for loose screws. Also - could the uke be drying out? Is the humidity where it's stored at around 50%? If it's drying, the top can sink a bit, bringing the bridge and saddle down along with it. That alone can make buzzing where no buzzing was noted before.

Interesting. I live in the northeast and I do have oasis humidifiers in my two good tenors. The room where I keep them is rather cool. Thinking that may be an issue. I'll move my cases to a warmer room and see what happens. I spent five weeks in Hawaii visiting family during the late fall to early winter and didn't have a problem.
I also have issues with both hips and will need replacement surgery eventually. Both hips felt great while I was in Hawaii. The moment I got back to cold weather they started to bother me again.

Interesting. I live in the northeast and I do have oasis humidifiers in my two good tenors. The room where I keep them is rather cool. Thinking that may be an issue. I'll move my cases to a warmer room and see what happens. I spent five weeks in Hawaii visiting family during the late fall to early winter and didn't have a problem.
I also have issues with both hips and will need replacement surgery eventually. Both hips felt great while I was in Hawaii. The moment I got back to cold weather they started to bother me again.

Sounds like it might be beneficial to move everything to a warmer room in Hawaii. :D

Sounds like it might be beneficial to move everything to a warmer room in Hawaii. :D
I had the chance to move there a few years ago. My wife grew up in Honolulu and her brother lives in Kailua. He manages two condos that were part of my father in laws estate. When I was retiring he offered it to us. We declined the offer. The condo fees were through the roof, around 10k a year on top of the property taxes. As much as I like Hawaii I don't think I could live there.

Top Bottom