Want a Vintage Martin soprano...need help.

Astein2006

Reaction score
So I’ve decided I want a vintage mahogany Martin soprano. Style O or Style 1. My budget will be somewhere around $800. What is my checklist for deciding what to look for, what years to stay away from etc. I realize ultimately I have to play one and trust my hands and ears but any advice you Martin aficionados can give me would be much appreciated.

Very interested in this topic myself.

I have sold, or gifted at least 16 Martins, all to satisfied players. I still have 2 Vintage Martins available.
I will not move out any ukuleles that are not totally playable, this is my personal philosophy concerning instruments.
The repairs and replacements I make are described and I do not attempt to hide them. They have a presentable fit and finish as well.

The market has diminished so you can get vintage Martin Ukuleles at very reasonable prices.
As I do not seem to be able to upload pictures, email me at spongeuke@yahoo.com for pictures, descriptions and such.

What Spongeuke says!

Also, try contacting Martin players (they usually have more than one, and could be convinced/begged/coerced into selling one off), look on ebay (several on offer, but be careful about the condition) and on other webforums (there was a wonderful 1950s style 2 on sale this week, well within your budget, on the French forum).

I bought a wonderful vintage Martin from Spongeuke a couple of years ago; he was a pleasure to deal with, the uke was exactly as described and thanks to his excellent packing it made it safely all the way across The Pond.

If Spongeuke has the model you're after you really couldn't do better than buying from him.

From what I've seen, pricing and condition vary widely. And what is a vintage uke? I bought a 1944 Martin soprano that had it's damaged top replaced with a spruce top. I paid just $425, but I suspect the spruce top is why it was priced lower. I like the top, and I like the fact that it was made in 1944 - just like me. : )

Reverb has serveral oldies for sale.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=martin ukulele&condition=used

Last edited:
I don't know too much about playing and tone differences between different eras. I think that there will also be differences from instrument to instrument. That said, I believe most any Martins will be great players no matter what. There are some really pricey ones out there and there are some bargains. I would not worry about finding something in pristine condition. Often there are instruments that have been "well loved" and played and are terrific. I would certainly trust those that spongeuke has available.

So I’ve decided I want a vintage mahogany Martin soprano. Style O or Style 1. My budget will be somewhere around $800. What is my checklist for deciding what to look for, what years to stay away from etc. I realize ultimately I have to play one and trust my hands and ears but any advice you Martin aficionados can give me would be much appreciated.

I’m not a Martin expert (so cannot give you the particular details you seek) but offer a few general comments.
- Ken Timms makes a Martin copy that’s very well regarded. Prices for them vary a little but are basically within your budget. Ken effectively allows you to buy a new Martin that will play and last like the old ones.
- Old Ukes can be in any condition and can cost a fortune to restore, many sellers either don’t know the actual condition or willfully conceal it.
- Old Ukes tend to cost more than they are actually worth as second hand instruments, they often sell at a premium based on their antique nature and investment value - beware, investments can go down in value as well as up.
- Genuine enthusiasts who are more interested in the item than its monetary value are hard to find. But if you can find such a person then they might steer you towards something worth having. Such people typically put faults right and only have items of merit in their collection. You might pay a bit more for an item from such a person but it’s money well spent because (high) quality is assured.
- if you are handy with tools then genuine enthusiasts will help you with restoration planing and work, they might even know of projects waiting for the right person.
- Talk to Songeuke, have a conversation, I believe that he’s the type of person who’d be happy to assist someone with a common interest. He might well be able to direct you towards other like minded people too.

Last edited:
I believe I lucked out with my $500 1940s-50s Martin concert uke that I found on FMM. The cracks it has are old and stable, it sounds great, and it was fully playable right out of the box.

But if you're contemplating buying one on line from an unknown private party, I think it's important to gets lots and lots of pictures and ask plenty of questions. Get an action measurement at the 12th fret for the G and A strings. Don't assume there's no problem just because the seller doesn't mention it.

edited to add: ^^^ what Graham said^^^

Last edited:
I might suggest you keep an eye on a trusted retailer who carries vintage Martin's and has a world class in-house repair shop: Elderly Instruments.

They get in vintage Martin's all the time, and if something is wrong with it, they will tell you about it. Just go to their ukulele section, select Martin, and sort by arrival date to see what they have gotten in recently. (I tried to post a link to this search, but the system decided it was probably spam...)

I might suggest you keep an eye on a trusted retailer who carries vintage Martin's and has a world class in-house repair shop: Elderly Instruments.

They get in vintage Martin's all the time, and if something is wrong with it, they will tell you about it. Just go to their ukulele section, select Martin, and sort by arrival date to see what they have gotten in recently. (I tried to post a link to this search, but the system decided it was probably spam...)
Thank you for the suggestion. They sounds like a great resource. I know of them but have never bought anything through them.

You can also look at the As Is section at Elderly. You can get some deals and have a decent luthier fit them up.

https://www.elderly.com/vintage/as-is-instruments/as-is-ukuleles?manufacturer=203

There are some other places that have vintage instruments and are reputable shops

https://vintage-instruments.com

https://gryphonstrings.com

You can see if they will give you a trial so you don't have to worry as you might on eBay or Reverb.

Thank you for these links!! Will check them out.

Thank you for the suggestion. They sounds like a great resource. I know of them but have never bought anything through them.
I made a pilgrimage to Elderly. Spent the afternoon taking one vintage uke after another off the wall. Plinking on it to my hearts content. Getting a feel for the sound and intonation. I was in heaven. End even though I brought enough to buy any of them, none sang to me in a way that meant I "HAD TO HAVE IT".
I was a little surprised. But I am still working on determining what my preferences are. At that time, nothing met my needs.
But it sure was *fun* trying them all.

Side note, my wife almost bought a banjo-uke.

I made a pilgrimage to Elderly. Spent the afternoon taking one vintage uke after another off the wall. Plinking on it to my hearts content. Getting a feel for the sound and intonation. I was in heaven. End even though I brought enough to buy any of them, none sang to me in a way that meant I "HAD TO HAVE IT".
I was a little surprised. But I am still working on determining what my preferences are. At that time, nothing met my needs.
But it sure was *fun* trying them all.

Side note, my wife almost bought a banjo-uke.
I feel you. I am very picky about what speaks to me. There was this koaloha pineapple that I played at a local music store a few years ago that I fell in love with but I did not have the money at the time. Now I have the money I just need to fall in love again lol.

Last edited:
Overall, you find amazing consistency with vintage Martin ukuleles. What I mean more specifically is that they are consistently good. Luckily, Martin made a lot of them and they often survive quite well. It is helpful to hold one in your hands and see if it speaks to you but that isn't always an option. I have A LOT of vintage ukuleles and I have often bought them from far off lands, and I have yet to be disappointed with one. However, I am not looking for a specific thing in a uke and I don't expect all ukuleles to sound like modern tenor ukes (which I find most people expect). Vintage soprano ukuleles from Martin tend to be bright and punchy sounding and not "guitar-like" at all. I only mention that because I find most people expect a deep bassy guitar like sound which vintage ukuleles were never intended to have.

Places like Elderly and Grphyon are excellent and you will pay a premium but you will likely get an excellent instrument. However, keep your eyes open out there. I see completed auctions on eBay all the time that I think were steals for the buyer. Of course, everyone is onto Martin so you don't see that often with Martin ukes but you do see it with others that are as good or IMHO even better. Good luck!

Overall, you find amazing consistency with vintage Martin ukuleles. What I mean more specifically is that they are consistently good. Luckily, Martin made a lot of them and they often survive quite well. It is helpful to hold one in your hands and see if it speaks to you but that isn't always an option. I have A LOT of vintage ukuleles and I have often bought them from far off lands, and I have yet to be disappointed with one. However, I am not looking for a specific thing in a uke and I don't expect all ukuleles to sound like modern tenor ukes (which I find most people expect). Vintage soprano ukuleles from Martin tend to be bright and punchy sounding and not "guitar-like" at all. I only mention that because I find most people expect a deep bassy guitar like sound which vintage ukuleles were never intended to have.

Places like Elderly and Grphyon are excellent and you will pay a premium but you will likely get an excellent instrument. However, keep your eyes open out there. I see completed auctions on eBay all the time that I think were steals for the buyer. Of course, everyone is onto Martin so you don't see that often with Martin ukes but you do see it with others that are as good or IMHO even better. Good luck!
Great comment. I’ve been playing guitar for 40 years I do not want a guitar sound in any way. I am enamored with that mahogany soprano punchy sound. I’m chasing a soprano that will satisfy my desire. I’ve had the same acoustic guitar since I was ten and have no need for another. I have 7 ukes. One being a tenor and the others sopranos. I have finally figured out what I want from a soprano. Now just finding one. A Martin I believe.

Have you looked at

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/c-1929-soprano-martin-ukulele-style-0-55369

I have a similar vintage and it is a killer instrument.

BTW-I agree with your comments about the sound of a good soprano. I sometimes hear ukes that sound like small guitars, but it is the traditional sound that I find most appealing. Good luck with the search.

Very tempting....why the low price. All the O’s I’ve seen of this vintage are much more expensive. What should I be concerned about?

Top Bottom