Stretching fingers/dexterity

Asrafrate

Reaction score
New to the uke and tiny tiny hands/fingers. I was wondering if there was a way to make fingers more nimble and able to contort into the positions needed on the fretboard? Right now it hurts after a period of practice,

Have a look at this video by Mike Lynch, it may help, there are a couple of others in the series on YouTube, Mike made a whole series of excellent instructional video's, sadly he is no longer with us, he will be remembered fondly.:)

Playing will stretch your reach, but most likely you don't really need that much anyways. Ukuleles being such short scale instruments.
Strap is good to have if you need a sort of classical guitar thumb behind the neck approach to have the most reach.

Lets put for interests sake here some scales of fretted instruments, guitar and ukulele.

Scale:
Classical guitar 65.5 cm -really this is somewhat too long for me.

Baritone ukulele 48 cm -much shorter. I took this from wikipedia, so maybe some variation, but as told, this is short. So even baritone does not require long fingers.

Tenor ukulele 43 cm
Concert 38 cm - notice how much shorter scales these GCEA tuning ukes have compared to the guitar. That and ukuleles have only 4 strings!
Soprano 33 cm

Your muscles & tendons just need some time to loosen up, just stretch your finger apart when you're not doing anything else, it will help condition them. :)

Play for 10~20 minutes, then take a break & go back to it later, don't try to play through pain. ;)

There are probably any number of stretching exercises. I don't think that they have to be ukulele specific finger stretching exercises. I sometimes stretch my fingers simply by placing them on a table and bending them back, or something similar, and not just for playing the ukulele, I do it in the morning just to get them moving. But I agree with Keith, as you play they will become accustomed to bending in ways that you never imagined. I also agree with Keith, don't over do it. I know that at first people get so excited about playing their ukes that they can't put them down. A two hour practice marathon early on will not help. Take it in short sessions.

There are probably any number of stretching exercises. I don't think that they have to be ukulele specific finger stretching exercises. I sometimes stretch my fingers simply by placing them on a table and bending them back, or something similar, and not just for playing the ukulele, I do it in the morning just to get them moving. But I agree with Keith, as you play they will become accustomed to bending in ways that you never imagined. I also agree with Keith, don't over do it. I know that at first people get so excited about playing their ukes that they can't put them down. A two hour practice marathon early on will not help. Take it in short sessions.

The thought of bending my fingers backwards? No!

I am 60 years old and have played guitar and now later ukulele all my life. Able to bend fingers back like making partial barres etc. works for some people, by genetics etc., but not all.

Or I understood Rilink your post wrong? You are recommending people bend their fingers backwards and this way get some extra in general in their play?

The thought of bending my fingers backwards? No!

I am 60 years old and have played guitar and now later ukulele all my life. Able to bend fingers back like making partial barres etc. works for some people, by genetics etc., but not all.

Or I understood Rilink your post wrong? You are recommending people bend their fingers backwards and this way get some extra in general in their play?
How to stretch your fingers out on the table. Pretty simple. I do it all the time. I hope that it isn't too extreme for people. If so, don't do it. Works for me though.

Fingers.jpg

I read wrong, that was not my thought from your first post. I thought you were suggesting bending like a middle finger back so to able play D chord with only it. That works for some people really well, I think late Baden-Powell as one, but not sure. That is how I remember seeing him playing. One great guitarist.

As to stretch, I don't really think that is not the most orthodox playing and many of us can't play like that :)

I am 80 y.o. and have all of the ole age problems plus a few extra. I second Mike Lynch on u-tube. He has quite a few there and all are good. A few minutes warm up using his exercises will do wonders. At least for me they do.

I started with guitar lessons, so there's stretching fingers for 'health', i.e., stretching exercises to keep the hand and fingers flexible and limber. Warm-up exercises in other words. There is a tutorial: http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=19585 Just don't over-do and don't injure yourself!
Becoming familiar with your uke also helps. Your hand can jump to the right frets after you become more familiar with it.
Also, it might help to know what size uke your playing. If you have small hands, a soprano or concert should be best for you.

Have a look at this video by Mike Lynch, it may help, there are a couple of others in the series on YouTube, Mike made a whole series of excellent instructional video's, sadly he is no longer with us, he will be remembered fondly.:)

I like him a lot, thanks!

Top Bottom