F Chord

Bratset

Reaction score
Hi,
Picked up my old huitar last week, and I am kinda hooked :p
Complete newbie, but I am starting to get around a good deal of chords... but the F Chord!
Any tips on how I can hold the F easier? :music:

It becomes much easier with practise.

Sometimes, I use my thumb, Jimi-style. I hook my thumb over the top of the neck and use it to hold down the F note on the low-E string. But any "proper" guitarist will tell you that this is not correct.

Watch Aldrine's Barre chords video on the front page. The principle is the same on both uke and guitar.

Best wishes :)

It becomes much easier with practise.

Sometimes, I use my thumb, Jimi-style. I hook my thumb over the top of the neck and use it to hold down the F note on the low-E string. But any "proper" guitarist will tell you that this is not correct.

Watch Aldrine's Barre chords video on the front page. The principle is the same on both uke and guitar.

Best wishes

I am practising :p
Been rehearsing the chord alot
But I often tend to just start playing some fingerpicking when I get a bit fed up. :p
Starting to get the hang of Tears in Heaven :D

You might modify your hand position when playing the chord and see if that helps.

Here is a thread where I am playing the same chord configuration and you can see the position of my hands. The bottom picture is with a uke, the middle picture is guitar, but, my hand positions are the result of forty years of guitar and uke playing experience.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13369

You might modify your hand position when playing the chord and see if that helps.

Here is a thread where I am playing the same chord configuration and you can see the position of my hands. The bottom picture is with a uke, the middle picture is guitar, but, my hand positions are the result of forty years of guitar and uke playing experience.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13369

Seen people holding it like that yeah :p
But my one week guitar and four months ukulele experience ain't enought yet :p

I think first you should practice learning barre chords higher up the neck just to get your muscle memory to learn the shape. It'll be easier up there where there isn't as much string tension. It'll be less frustrating to do, your fingers will be learning the shape, and once your fingers get stronger you'll be playing it at the first fret without much difficulty at all.

I think first you should practice learning barre chords higher up the neck just to get your muscle memory to learn the shape. It'll be easier up there where there isn't as much string tension. It'll be less frustrating to do, your fingers will be learning the shape, and once your fingers get stronger you'll be playing it at the first fret without much difficulty at all.

Thanks for the tip!
Will do that

i love the F chord! lol...

but i used to not like it. just keep practicing the chord you WILL get it. that chord shape is very useful. just keep practicing it though.

The F chord was a killer when I started playing guitar. But my friend taught me the open F, which was way easier for me. So I used that for a while until I could finally get the barre shape down. The open F is fingered like a Bb on uke. 003211. Maybe you can try that.

first practice just forming the chord over and over again.
then practice sliding the chord shape up and down the neck (ie. barre F to barre f# to barre G and back)
then practice changing from the F to other chords ( ie. F to C to F to G to F to D to F to Am ...)
just keep practicing that kinda stuff when you're bored or as a warm-up.

You will need to be able to grab barre chords. They will open up the whole fretboard for you.

That said, you can fake it by palming the neck and fretting x3321x. Your index finger will mute the high E string and your thumb will mute the low E.

When I started playing the guitar a fella taught me to make my E chord without using my pointer finger so that my hand was already in position to make a barre chord. And after making barre chords higher up the neck, the F fell into place.

F

The F cord will become easier as you practice more and more. Make sure to keep your wrist out and it will get easier and easier

I've never tried playing the huitar before.......

you do have to just keep practicing it. its going to take some time to be able to play a clean F chord on the guitar. i would suggest you just try and try. eventually it will start to clean up and then it becomes second nature. then and only then do i recommend trying alternate fingering. IMO you shouldnt take shortcuts unless you can effectively take the "long"cuts (???).

when i was teaching myself to play guitar many moons ago, i believe it took me about three months of constant practice with songs that contained an F in it before it finally started to clean up. at first i even tried to avoid songs that had an F in it haha.

you do have to just keep practicing it. its going to take some time to be able to play a clean F chord on the guitar. i would suggest you just try and try. eventually it will start to clean up and then it becomes second nature. then and only then do i recommend trying alternate fingering. IMO you shouldnt take shortcuts unless you can effectively take the "long"cuts (???).

when i was teaching myself to play guitar many moons ago, i believe it took me about three months of constant practice with songs that contained an F in it before it finally started to clean up. at first i even tried to avoid songs that had an F in it haha.

Been playing for a month and a week now and the F Chord is starting to come along. Getting better at Barre Chords so I play the F as a Barre

Top Bottom