Adding Some Bling to a Kit Fretboard

sequoia

Reaction score
While the fretboard that came with the StewMac premium ukulele kit is serviceable and attractive, I decided to replace the dot markers, add a little bling and bind it... You will note that I added the diamond and dots at the 10th fret rather than the traditional 12th fret. Why? Because I didn't notice that there was no dot at the 14th or 15th fret which is the way I've always done it and I didn't count. Not paying attention! Anyway, I think it looks alright and most players only look at the side dots anyway so who cares?

The fretboard as it came

kit.jpg

Removing the original MOP dot (very dull, no chatoyance)

dot removal.jpg

Inlaying the diamond/dots

20190219_143309.jpg

Finished unfretted bound/inlayed fretboard

20190222_121331.jpg

The contrast between the fretboard (rosewood?) and binding is stunning. What did you use for the binding?

The fretboard is actually Macassar ebony (Diospyros celebica) and I think it is quite attractive. I had never worked with it before and found that it wanted to chip quite badly (which I did) and dulled my plane in no time. Also it is a threatened species and under pressure so not a great wood from a conservation standpoint, but what grain! Prized for use in Japanese house building where it is used for posts. The binding is cocobolo with a thin maple strip. Cocobolo is also a species under pressure. It can also be quite toxic to some people although I have so far escaped any problems. Yet.

https://www.wood-database.com/macassar-ebony/

Last edited:
Top Bottom