New Peanut Ukulele Campaign

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Two years ago, I went BACK to Facebook because so much ukulele discussion occurs there. In one of the groups, might have even been the UU group, the creator of the Peanut posted about his new crowdfunding campaign. There was a little discussion about the existing peanuts and the creator's other designs that have been used by other companies.

I'm not in the middle of all of it, but could definitely use a small electric concert with headphones to practice or to do my ukulele play along videos when everyone else is asleep at home. So I decided to take a chance and to become a backer of the campaign.

I just post the link to the campaign in the event that anyone else wants to get in on it...the goal is a low $2000, which seems reasonable. One of the early concert electric models is $100 with shipping.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/acoustic-and-electric-peanut-ukulele-for-traveling/x/3293101#/

Incidentally, I just ordered a soprano Ammoom Soprano Electric to use for the same reason--found an unbranded version on eBay for $50. I have a lot of nice ukuleles at home, but again, having something I can play without keeping everyone awake will be a bonus (and when Zivix makes a Jamstik ukulele, I'll be in on that, too).

Interesting, I just received my Ammoon stick uke yesterday, and to my surprise it’s not terrible. Intonation and string height is decent and fret edges are smooth. I’d prefer a hollow body with a side sound port (ala the “lonely player uke” but with a normal headstock), but hey, it was $55. Strings need changing and it needs side fret markers and a strap, but otherwise an okay semi-silent ukulele.

I'll add that I've looked up the EleUke a little bit; Barry Maz reviewed them back in 2012. He wasn't impressed, but the company has improved the electronics and even offers upgraded components for people who want to update older models.

I don't have any affiliation with the company, I'm just willing to risk $100 (heck, I've bought more in lottery tickets over the past two years) for a concert scale electric that I can use in my workflow.

I've got my Ohana Sopranissimo Pineapple for travel--this will be designated for work when my wife and kids are in bed.

I've got my Ohana Sopranissimo Pineapple for travel--

I played my Ohana sopranino today with my group at a hospital senior section. We go about once a month. It took just a few minutes to get used to the small size, and I used one of those sticky pads to keep it from sliding down my chest. The Peanut is about 2.5" longer than the sopranino, so it will also be a little guy.

When I ordered the Peanut the other day, I was #16, and they were under their $2,000 goal. They're moving along nicely.

"$3,625 USD raised by 49 backers"

I've presupported Eleukes in crowdfunding campaigns in the past, and while they are reasonable instruments, I can't deal with Phil Kwack any more.

The last time I dealt with him, I paid extra for a printed soundboard. He told all the supporters that things had gotten backed up, and sent us all white plastic concert-sized ukes, which sounded fine. I use mine as my autograph uke.

Then, he showed me a photo of the soundboard he had prepared for me, and it was mostly green. Not a bit of the yellow, red, or blue that was in the photo I sent him. He said that his printer had died, and asked me to accept this ukulele. I told him no, and he promised to send me the uke when he got a new printer. In the meantime, he sent me a solid blue instrument, which I did not want, nor ask for.

I gave it to someone who needed a uke for a boat, and that was that. At the same time, another friend got a uke with a lousy print of the photo she'd sent to him, and he promised to replace it... and didn't. Then his ads for the plastic ukes featured a uke with a good quality print of that same photo on it! It was an original piece of art, and he'd neither asked for, nor was granted permission to use the artwork.

So, regardless of the quality of the instruments, and how inexpensive they may be, I cannot support any of Phil K's campaigns, ever again. Please make your own decisions, but that's my experience.

Kurt​

I own one of the original BugsGear EleUke soprano Les Paul's, a Stagg concert Strat and a Vorson tenor Les Paul, all solid body electric 'ukulele. The Vorson was the only one that required a lot of setup, upon arrival. Any 'ukulele can be practiced softly with lighter strums and picking, using the flesh of the thumb and fingers for strumming and picking. Ric

The campaign has over $13,000 so far. I'm hoping this will mean an earlier start for production so I can get my acoustic soprano earlier 😀😀😀

The campaign has over $13,000 so far. I'm hoping this will mean an earlier start for production so I can get my acoustic soprano earlier ������

There were 16 people signed up when I ordered one. Now there are 177. Nice progress.

Top Bottom