Griffin Spruce & curly maple baritone with MiSi pickup, hardcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
Good used condition spruce and curly maple baritone with MiSi pickup, built by Brian Griffin for himself in 2011. Brian had been playing it for 7 years. He sold it because of he built a new one for himself. I'm selling it to recover from a 2018 baritone buying bing.

Body is gorgeous tiger striped, big leaf maple. The soundboard is Sitka Spruce purchased from Pacific Rim Tonewood, a NW Washington state company that is the primary supplier of tonewood for Martin and Taylor Guitars. The Spruce was sourced on the Queen Charlotte Islands in British Columbia, Canada. The top and back binding is Rosewood, the fretboard and bridge are Ebony. The wood in the rosette and peg head plate is spalted Big Leaf Maple. The nut and saddle are made from bison bone a local buffalo rancher near the luthier, Buffalo bone is reputed to be 35% harder than cow bone, and should transmit vibration better. The finish is French Polish.This baritone has a MiSi pickup, charger and instructions. Includes new Musician's Gear hardcase. Currently strung with SouthCoast Strings.

The looks and tone are beautiful, warm, yet with a nice crispness to each string (unlike many baritones I've played). It plays like a dream with a thicker walnut neck. The intonation is spot-on all the way up the neck. It’s not a physically perfect instrument, it’s been played a lot. There are some builder and playing marks, light scratches/indents as one might expect on 7 + year old and well-loved instrument, built in 2011, only adds to the charm. This was Brian Griffin's #11 build. I purchased it from Brian in August 2018. Brian's description of this baritone August 2018 was just a bit generous. ...
"This is a used baritone that has been in my possession since I built it in 2011. It is in excellent condition with virtually no playing marks. It enjoys a rich deep baritone voice, Has a MiSi pickup and excellent gold Gotoh tuners and an Ebony fretboard. Bone nut and saddle, Southcoast strings."

This has the small hand-built variations/imperfections you might expect from an earlier build of a luthier. For example, the binding doesn’t have a perfect fit everywhere. There are some very small binding gaps and filled gaps here and there. Brian reglued the bridge before he sent it to me. Apparently, there was a corner that didn't have glue when he built it in 2011. He didn't think it was a problem, but didn't want it to leave his shop that way. He did an excellent re-glue, 100% contact. Over all I'd give the physical condition a 7+/10. A very cool and beautiful hand-made instrument, with a wonderful tone and soul. I 'd call it player's instrument.

SOLD.
Sound sample: https://app.box.com/s/zc5sbgm0nn04v15rc4jgpbvar2wa0gvq

More picture here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskHu5W4E
P1090016 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090017 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090019 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090021 by hejenkins, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great looking bari with a great provenance. Some lucky baritone player is going to have a great-sounding instrument to play at gigs and gatherings.

Best of luck with the sale.

I can't let this one pass, Hodge.
unfortunately, and for reasons beyond my understanding,
I can no longer either send or receive PM messages on the forum here.
If you don't mind to email me here:
singtomeofautumnleaves at gmail dot com
I will get to payment immediately.
thanks mate, jon.

thanks mate, jon.

Great choice, Jon. Looking forward to hearing you play it.

thanks mate, jon.

Hi Jon, I know there is only a tiny amount of Rosewood on this instrument, but please check your CITES requirements, I'd hate to see it impounded by the Border Force Police :)

thanks mate, jon.

Thanks Jon, Just sent you an email.

Campbell brings up a good point about the rosewood binding. Seems instruments made before January 2, 2017 (called “pre–convention”) can be sent outside the USA, but require an export single use permit from the US Fish and Wildlife Agency ( a multi-page form, $75 fee with 30-60 days estimated processing time). Probably would take 3 months to get it to you considering the paperwork, the post, and customs. Nothing is as easy as it used to be.

thanks fellas for this info.
Hodge, I've just emailed you back with some thoughts mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom