The Mother of All Chipouts

sequoia

Reaction score
I'm always amazed that just when you think nothing bad can happen something bad happens. I was drilling holes for my side dot markers when a large chip dislodged itself from the fredboard. Also the wood on the underside of the chip crumbled making replacement difficult. Then when I'm gluing the thing down my finger sticks to the chip lifting it out and making a perfect hide impossible. Beware of Macassar ebony! Thank you for allowing me to vent. GRrrrrrr!

chip.jpg chip1.jpg chip2.jpg

I never have much faith in adjustable drill stops as they always seem to fail like this at some point. Now I just drill into a piece of dowel and cut that to the length required for the exposed part of the drill. Nothing to slip and a positive stop when you get to the correct depth. Easy to do if you have a drill press and you can make them for any size of drill. Bob

Burn that one...Shouldn't take too long to make another. :)

Nah... I'm not going to burn it Ken. After this fretboard is dressed and oiled, nobody will know the goof is there other you, me and everybody in the Lounge. Also, I like to try and fix goofs because:

1) This is a fairly rare and exotic piece of wood and I hate wasting wood of any kind. That tree deserves better than to become firewood. (see: guilt)
2) Perfection is overrated (as per Beau)
3) It gives the fretboard character! (yeah right)
4) I'm cheap
5) I'm lazy

Pictures below of before and after raw undressed fretted fretboard in question. Gotta look close:

Before: chip.jpg

After: fretboard.jpg

Top Bottom