Solid Low G Strings?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for Low G string sets with a solid low G string?

I need strings for the Concert, Long Neck Concert, Tenor, and Long Neck Tenor sizes. That would be for 15, 16, 17, and 19 inch scale lengths.

Either sets, or individual solid low G strings, would do.

Thanks!

Freemont Blacks. Worth Clears & Browns. Aquila Reds.

You can get single "plain" (IE: solid, unwound) Worth Low-G & Living Waters Low-G & Freemont Black Low-G strings.

Uke Republic sells them as the stock allows.

Brad,
I must be missing something. How did you get 3 strings out of the KF95A? The package says it the string is 1 meter in length?

What ukulele will you be putting the strings on?

Last edited:
I would assume that each of the scale lengths requires a different string gauge/diameter as tensions will be very different. So for the above mentioned Freemont Blacks, Worth Clears & Browns, and Aquila Reds for what scale lengths are they available?

If one gets a nonwound low-G string, it will have a much greater diameter than the high-G string it is replacing. Since the nut slot for the high-G string is normally cut to handle the diameter of the high-G string, the nut slot may be too narrow to properly fit a nonwound (larger diameter) low-G string. If one tries to "stuff" the nonwound low-G string into a too-narrow nut slot, the string will most likely get pinched during tuning, thus causing cuts in the string and premature snapping at tension. The only cure is to widen the nut slot, which one may not want to do if one intends to someday return the instrument to high-G tuning.

Wound low-G strings are usually pretty close to the same diameter as nonwound high- G strings. The nut slot issue is why wound strings are popular.

Wound low-G strings are usually pretty close to the same diameter as nonwound high- G strings. The nut slot issue is why wound strings are popular.
I find that surprising. I only have one uke that I bought used with a wound string, and when it unraveled I replaced it with an aquila red and didn't find a change in thickness at all. But yeah they are definitely much thicker than high-G strings and may need some bridge and/or nut slot work done.

Brad,
I must be missing something. How did you get 3 strings out of the KF95A? The package says it the string is 1 meter in length?

The KF95A is 2 meters. I think the picture is the same for both on the site, but they are two different lengths.

Brad,
Thanks for enlightening me. Would this low G sound similar to the TI low G?

Top Bottom