Kala With Radiused Neck?

MD1948

Reaction score
I've been playing quite a while, but still have trouble making clean barre on my Martin. In part, I'm old and have some arthritis in hands. But also the flat neck feels almost painful to barre.

I read that Kala make a line with radiused necks. Anyone have one to report on? I am wondering if it would make barre chords easier?

Thanks for any information. They are a bit expensive to simply "buy and try."

I've been playing quite a while, but still have trouble making clean barre on my Martin. In part, I'm old and have some arthritis in hands. But also the flat neck feels almost painful to barre.

I read that Kala make a line with radiused necks. Anyone have one to report on? I am wondering if it would make barre chords easier?

Thanks for any information. They are a bit expensive to simply "buy and try."

That is news to me about Kala coming out with a radius fretboard, they have always had flat fretboard. It would be wonderful for me if they did. I have hand issues so most everything I buy has a radius fretboard because it IS easier for "ME" to play barr chords.

It seems that the Kala Elite might have a curved fretboard.

"By integrating a 1.5” fingerboard width and a natural radius into the neck’s design..."

https://kalabrand.com/pages/kala-elite-usa-genesis

Although here, it says the Elite fretboard is flat. I guess it's "neck" vs "fretboard." A few seconds of automatic milling on a machine would produce a radiused fretboard. I'm surprised they don't make them available.

https://kalabrand.com/collections/kala-elite-usa-koa/products/koa-3-tenor-gloss

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to compare a radiused and nonradiused Blackbird Clara at their shop. I found the radiused easier to barre cleanly. I have just received an aNueNue Moon Bird concert with (surprise!) a slight radiused fretboard and find it easier to barre than my nonradiused Koaloha.

I can't quite make out from the Kala web site exactly which models had a curved neck. There seem to be contradictions.

I am happy to hear that others find it easier to make barre chords with a radiused fret board. I will pursue it with some questions to Kala for clarification. Or, maybe just go straight to a custom uke.

I can't quite make out from the Kala web site exactly which models had a curved neck. There seem to be contradictions.

I am happy to hear that others find it easier to make barre chords with a radiused fret board. I will pursue it with some questions to Kala for clarification. Or, maybe just go straight to a custom uke.

The Pono tenor pro classic series all have radiused fretboards. I have owned a few Ponos and they are excellent instruments, with sound and playability to rival custom ukes costing twice as much. I own customs like that so I am saying this from first hand experience.

Other than Pono, what other brands have radiused fretboards?

Cocobolo and Enya make production models (in Cocobolo's case, limited production, but still...) with radiused fretboards.

Hope you get a chance to try out the radiused fretboard ukes before buying 1.

I too, have difficulty barring with my very stiff and curved jointed fingers. Some people got fingers made for flat fretboard. Thinking that a radiused would certainly be a match in heaven for my case, but no! I ended up unable to do some of the barring chord shapes properly.

This is largely due to a radiused width of a fret position is in fact wider than a fret in the same position for flat fretboard. Hence, my stubby fingers (the ones not doing the barring) are unable to press on the 4th G string and keep brushing on the third C string. So that’s my experience with radiused fretboard.

Anyway, I found a way to bar better on a flat fretboard by rotating my barring finger to its side (as it is straighter), and I have made a better sound. You may wish to try that if you have not.

And I have a Martin too! Yeah.

Hope you get a chance to try out the radiused fretboard ukes before buying 1.

And I have a Martin too! Yeah.

I think "try B4 buy" is going to be quite difficult. I'll have to travel to Los Angeles - about 4 hours drive. There's no selection in my area at all. Just doing web surfing I have discovered...

1/ Fretboard specs are kinda randomly described.

2/ The one I found are a little over my $$. I was hoping to spend about $500, not $1200.

3/I was kinda wanting soprano, and the only radius units I see are tenors. Possibly a concert here or there - unsure.

Back in the day I played a Telecaster with a 7.5" radius! The smallest uke radius I've seen given is 16" which is very gentle (subtle). I would hate to spend a ton on a uke "just because" it had a radius f.b. Maybe the rest of it is crap, you know?

Maybe I just need to do some special exercise on my fingers?

I tried searching online for radiused sopranos but none came up. Pono have them in tenor, and not cheap either.

Not sure if you could ask around if someone in the neighbourhood has such a uke for you to try out. I know that feeling too on crappy exp uke.

I think "try B4 buy" is going to be quite difficult. I'll have to travel to Los Angeles - about 4 hours drive. There's no selection in my area at all. Just doing web surfing I have discovered...

2/ The one I found are a little over my $$. I was hoping to spend about $500, not $1200.

3/I was kinda wanting soprano, and the only radius units I see are tenors. Possibly a concert here or there - unsure.

Back in the day I played a Telecaster with a 7.5" radius! The smallest uke radius I've seen given is 16" which is very gentle (subtle). I would hate to spend a ton on a uke "just because" it had a radius f.b. Maybe the rest of it is crap, you know?

Because I am a huge radius fan I have gathered info over the last four years. First off a radius fretboard is uncommon on production ukuleles. Ukes with radius fretboard are almost exclusively tenor, yes Enya has a soprano and concert with radius, I own both. They are made from countertop laminate think Wilsonart or Arborite.

When searching for something as uncommon as a soprano with radius you can forgot about trying before buying. I live in Canada and there ain't much selection here so of the 30 plus ukes I have bought all of them were sight unseen.

There is hope with a custom build in your price range........Fred Shields. Do a name search on this site and you should get some good info. I own an all walnut pineapple super soprano from Fred. Great instrument and I specified a radius fretboard, price with upgraded Gohto UPT tuners and strap buttons was under $400.00. You will not be able to try it first but I personally know three other memebers here who own them and all are happy

After picking myself up off the floor from reading "30 plus ukes" - - I think that the custom range is the way to go. I am looking into the Fred Shields brand, and also looking for local luthiers.

When I played guitar years ago, I thought I was nuts for having 6 or 7 guitars and half a dozen amps. NOT!

Thanks folks for all the help!

I have a lovely soprano with a radiused fretboard that Steve of LoneTree Ukuleles made for me. He makes all his ukes with radiused fretboards. He charges a bit more than you want to spend but with US bucks it will cost you less than us Canucks.

I read somewhere that pushing the uke closer to your body on the lower bout, where your arm is, makes barres easier. I tried that as I couldn't barre and voila, it works. I think it is because when you do this, the neck will move towards your fingers doing the barre. At first I pushed a lot but now only a little. It works like a charm.

I read somewhere that pushing the uke closer to your body on the lower bout, where your arm is, makes barres easier. I tried that as I couldn't barre and voila, it works. I think it is because when you do this, the neck will move towards your fingers doing the barre. At first I pushed a lot but now only a little. It works like a charm.

So you're creating a lever effect?

After picking myself up off the floor from reading "30 plus ukes" - - I think that the custom range is the way to go. I am looking into the Fred Shields brand, and also looking for local luthiers.

When I played guitar years ago, I thought I was nuts for having 6 or 7 guitars and half a dozen amps. NOT!

Thanks folks for all the help!

I dont own 30 now, down below 20 ukes. I mostly bought and sold used while I was exploring what I liked. It is a great way to do it as you don't lose much if anything at all on used. Especially here on UU where established memebers can be trusted, it's a great community.

Top Bottom