Your Top 5 Current Uke Players Ranked.

Kibes37

Reaction score
I’ll start:

Kalei Gamio
Andrew Molina
Feng E. (On the road to being the best by 15)
Kris Fuchigami
Brittni Paiva

Last edited:
Choices, choices... but if it helps to put people on the track of really good artists, I'm in.

These people's playing makes my jaw drop:
1. Ukulelezaza
2. Del Rey
3. James Hill
4. Adrien Janiak
5. Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee (you can't put one before the other, right?)

Taimane Gardner, Ohta-san, Tomotaka Matsui, Jake Simabukuro, Ayano Tsuji

I myself think that ones you get older by a few decades, the ability to answer such a question regarding what are current players and also the interest to such things will go away. It is the same as if someone asked this question about current guitar players, when the history of the past is so strong.

So the OP must be a young person. Nothing bad in that, we need new always new blood so to say :)
And you guys telling your opinions.

Three that I've seen perform in person - Taimane Gardner, Kris Fuchigami, Kimo Hussey

Two that I'd love to see in person - Jake, Kalei Gameo

I can't really say top or otherwise as there are so many players with different skills and styles to offer.

BUT-

In any serious discussions, I have to say that Byron Yasui and Benny Chong would have to be on the list. Both are masterful musicians

You can find videos with Byron playing acoustic bass to accompany Benny.

Last edited:
Corey Fujimoto
Kimo Hussey
Del Rey
John King
Brittin Paiva

Last edited:
I am still to discover many of the names here..
Great thread!
My list (no specific order)
Kimo Hussey
Herb Ohta (Jazz the glass!)
Daniel Ho
Alderine (Bandito is a great album)
Rob Mackillop
Lyle Ritz
Taimane Gardner
Honoko Azita

In any serious discussions, I have to say that Byron Yasui and Benny Chong would have to be on the list. Both are masterful musicians

*A big +1 from me for this---hugely unsung and underrated uke player is Benny Chong.

While I'm here I also add Abe Lagrimas Jr.,
who is astonishing on uke.

Easy to think of my top five:

Jake
James
Corey
Aldrine
Taimane

I'll chime in. Off the top of my head:

1. Benny Chong
2. Byron Yasui
3. Bryan Tolentino
3. Abe Lagrimas, Jr.
4. Imua Garza

Byron Yasui was on my thesis committee in grad school! He was mainly known as a bass violin player, gigging at local jazz clubs and playing in the bass section of the Honolulu Symphony. After retirement he he really devoted himself to the 'ukulele. Even trained the first 'ukulele performance major at UH Manoa.

I myself think that ones you get older by a few decades, the ability to answer such a question regarding what are current players and also the interest to such things will go away. It is the same as if someone asked this question about current guitar players, when the history of the past is so strong.

So the OP must be a young person. Nothing bad in that, we need new always new blood so to say :)
And you guys telling your opinions.

I am interested in new blood and becoming aware of current talent. There is a wave of new players using old styles as well as new that are INCREDIBLE. Obviously we needed the older players to influence and inspire.

Not sure what the point of this comment is. I do always appreciate input, though. Have a good one!

Last edited:
Byron Yasui was on my thesis committee in grad school! He was mainly known as a bass violin player, gigging at local jazz clubs and playing in the bass section of the Honolulu Symphony. After retirement he he really devoted himself to the 'ukulele. Even trained the first 'ukulele performance major at UH Manoa.

He also wrote a ukulele concerto that Jake premiered with the Hawaii Symphony

https://manoa.hawaii.edu/music/about-us/faculty/byron-k-yasui/

This thread happens every couple years. Peter Moon is always missing any kind of mention.

Top Bottom