Thomastik-Infeld Classic S series KR116 and KF110

RedStickUkulele

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I was wondering if anyone has tried these strings? They are known for giving a more steel guitar sound to classical guitars, but they aren't super cheap as far as strings go. Searching older threads didn't turn up much. Some people have used them, but there wasn't a whole lot of opinions given. It seems like these strings have been around for a while. Anybody tried them out recently?

Also the John Pearse PJ116 are in the same series and said to have a similar sound, but the bases are round wound instead of flat wound.

I use the John Pearse trebles on my Teton and love them. They are my favorite string. I tried them on my Cordoba 32T and liked the sound but was having intonation issues with them on it. I still want to try them on my Applause but I like the strings on it so for now it'll wait. Two issues with them: because of the way they are made you can't cut them so there is a lot of string left over after winding. I Just make little coils and call it good but it isn't the neatest look. The second issue is that if you have a tie bridge they will work but you have to add a bead to go between the ball end and the bridge or else the winding will be on the saddle. That's less of an issue. I suspect that most people here wouldn't like the sound, it is very un-uke like in may ways but I think it adds a depth and tone that no other string can.

BTW the John Pearse trebels are just T-I sold under another name and cheaper. It's the same exact string, even in the T-I packaging and everything.

John

Hey everybody. I was wondering if anyone has tried these strings? They are known for giving a more steel guitar sound to classical guitars, but they aren't super cheap as far as strings go. Searching older threads didn't turn up much. Some people have used them, but there wasn't a whole lot of opinions given. It seems like these strings have been around for a while. Anybody tried them out recently?
Noob question, are you’ll looking to put them on tenor or baritone? Which tuning?

I would be putting them on a tenor in low d or g.

The tension on the strings by mail site has the high E string for the TI strings at a higher tension so I am not sure if they are exactly the same, but are indeed very similar. The TI bases are also flat wound instead of the JP roundwounds

I would be putting them on a tenor in low d or g.

The tension on the strings by mail site has the high E string for the TI strings at a higher tension so I am not sure if they are exactly the same, but are indeed very similar. The TI bases are also flat wound instead of the JP roundwounds

As far as I know the treble strings are the same, not sure why the tensions listed are different. If you want to try them buy a treble set of the John Pearse and add a T-I 30 flatwound for the low G. That's how I did it. You end up with a very unique sounding instrument.

John

Would you happen to have a sound recording?

I'll see if I can come up with something but keep in mind the only uke I have them on right now is my Teton tenor so it will sound a little different then on an acoustic uke. There are some very good demos of them on classical guitars on youtube. Search for John Pearse Fingerpicking strings.

John

Ok. One last question: How low do the strings seem to last compared to other strings?

Top Bottom