Random thoughts on a spontaneous uke purchase

Gmontema

Reaction score
On a family trip earlier this month, we strolled into a music store (like we always do) and I proceeded to play all of the ukes in inventory. After playing the selection, my wife saw my face change when I played the KoAloha pineapple. It was was $900+ Before tax. I guess I pouted a little bit after looking at the price and I told my wife that I would pass. She said BS and that we wouldn’t leave without buying it. So against my will we purchased the “new” uke. I used quotes because after we got home, my sister said that my uke may not be new because KoAloha hasn’t made my model for several years. After looking inside, it turns out that that it was made in 2012.

Since then, I’ve continued to play and enjoy my new but 7 year old uke. I also like the look of it versus the more recent models which don’t have the KoAloha styled fretboard or carved bridge. I don’t like he dusty smell from inside the uke (my other ukes have a new uke smell to them).

But I am curious, how would you all feel in this situation? Would you be okay paying “new” prices for basically new, old stock? Would you be okay paying for an older instrument at new prices because the styling is better? Would you be concerned that the “technology” of the construction might be inferior in the 2012 model versus the 2017 model? These are things that I think about from time to time and I just wanted to hear other random thoughts from other enthusiasts on the ol’ Interwebs.

Attachments

• 3F0090E9-6594-440D-ABC6-1CE25B8BC99E.jpg
    3F0090E9-6594-440D-ABC6-1CE25B8BC99E.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 29769EE6-575B-4CAE-A91C-F7F7FD7E18C9.jpg
    29769EE6-575B-4CAE-A91C-F7F7FD7E18C9.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I love the idea of buying a uke new from a shop and finding out its actually 7 years old. As Bill1 said solid wood instruments seem to open up a bit over time so to get one already on the way to that in great condition is a bonus.

All you have to do is pick up a well made vintage uke to realise that technology haven't necessarily made all ukes better. There's characteristics of older model ukes that are pretty special.

I recently bought a Maui Music uke online and I could work out how old it was until I got it. Turns out it's almost 20 years old and I was delighted :) The 'old' 11 year old Pono koa tenor I've got aren't made any more and although it's heavier than the current models it's my first "I'll never sell this thing" ukes.

I think you got a great deal all round.

I'm also in the I don't mind how long something is sitting there waiting to be bought camp. It won't have deteriorated in that time, it's still a new uke. Who know how long things you order online have been sitting in a warehouse, etc.?

Looks like a great purchase!

I am glad to hear your got a wonderful uke!

BUT...

I believe your got robbed by at least $300!!

KoAloha ukes are wonderful. They have not always been so expensive. The first KoAloha soprano I bought was 1/3 the cost of yours, brand new. It was the same exact build style, but not pineapple shaped. It was $300 new from Elderly!

I am not an expert on KoAloha pricing, but it seems to me a 2012 model probably only cost $600 new. I believe the shop you purchased from made plenty of extra cash on that sale.

I am glad to hear your got a wonderful uke!

BUT...

I believe your got robbed by at least $300!!

KoAloha ukes are wonderful. They have not always been so expensive. The first KoAloha soprano I bought was 1/3 the cost of yours, brand new. It was the same exact build style, but not pineapple shaped. It was $300 new from Elderly!

I am not an expert on KoAloha pricing, but it seems to me a 2012 model probably only cost $600 new. I believe the shop you purchased from made plenty of extra cash on that sale.

You bought a brand new KoAloha for less than a base model Pono? OP didn't get ripped off, you got a barely believable deal my friend!

Unlike people, the age of a uke doesn't matter. If it looks good and sounds good, you're good to go. I love KoAloha. I'm surprised the store didn't have that plainly marked as used. I don't know if $900 was a bargain, though. I don't think "inferior" applies to KoAloha.

https://reverb.com/brand/koaloha

I've made several impulse buys which I've later regretted - and sold. I've also seen something online and ordered it immediately because I knew I'd never see one again. They are keepers.

Believe it or not, but in the early 2000s, you could get a brand new KoAloha soprano for around $300!!

Believe it or not, but in the early 2000s, you could get a brand new KoAloha soprano for around $300!!

Maybe, but not in 2012! I'd say the OP got a wonderful instrument, that is no longer made and probably built better than the new ones. Just play it and enjoy! :shaka:

Looking on ebay, they are listed for $1027 - $1824...

Last edited:
My point was...

2012 - that uke was probably $600 street price.

I totally realize that KoAloha ukes cost $800 or more now.

My thoughts...why should you have paid $900 for a new old stock? It definitely didn’t cost the retailer as much. In my mind, the retailer took advantage of the buyer!

"Against my will" This must have been a difficult time for you, when your wife insisted that you buy a $900 uke.

This is hilarious and I would stop thinking about it and enjoy your awesome Uke! Congrats on the Koaloha and the super cool wife!

Last edited:
If it felt right while you were playing it, then it was a good purchase.
I am still looking for one that 'sings' to me.
I have 2 ukes with pretty darn good intonation. I have some with less spectacular intonation.
I could not tell the difference until I recently started playing up the neck.
Now, I cannot imagine buying an instrument without playing it.

You got the crown end on the fretboard! That would be a custom order these days for most of their models I think. That's the one feature I wish my soprano had. I would have paid $900 to get that. :cool:

"Against my will" This must have been a difficult time for you, when your wife insisted that you buy a $900 uke.
I bought an unsold May 2000 Kamaka in 2007(?), probably for full price. I think it was in the shop so long because it had a problem, the bridge was about 1mm in the wrong place. So I paid to get that fixed as well. At that time I had enough income and it did not make any difference. I still have it and it still sounds amazing. Now I have a uke that was from the millennium year which sounds great. The wood gets better and better and it has a lovely understated curl. After 12 years the purchase price does not matter anymore, what matters is the sound and the feel and the fun in owning a nice uke.

Hahaha. It was a little “difficult” since I’m ummmm how to do I put this ... “practical” . If I’m honest some would call me kind of tight fisted with money. My wife gets that but insists that I continue with my uke hobby because it’s mellowed me out, improved my memory and it adds a lot of color to ours and our kids life. I guess we could spend money on worse vices!

I try not to look back and wonder what I could have or should have done differently. I try to always look forward. If it were me, I wouldn't think about buying it and all that, it is done. I would look forward to playing it. That's just me.

You got a great story out of it! All of my ukes have a story connected to them. Now what the story is it's up to you, and all of us responding have created our own story around your story. I think your wife loves you and enjoys seeing you light up with happiness. And so what if your happiness makes her life easier. Even better!

As for KoAloha, their instruments are fused with spirit. Construction wise, I too prefer what they were doing back then. The stock of koa is different than current stock. That pineapple is especially sweet. I remember when I picked one of those up I knew I wanted KoAloha. However my ear leaned more towards mahogany. Some time later I was watching Hawaii Music Supply videos with my BF who was a musician. When we heard Music Guy Mike Aratani play and talk about KoAloha's new line of mahogany called Koalana, we knew that was the one. He offered to buy it right then, but I hesitated because I wasn't sure concert size would work for me, even though the tone was sublime. I didn't jump on it, because I couldn't put my hands on it. They were only sold at Hawaii Music Supply and there was a limited supply. But in the end that's what I wound up with -- and I got another story out of it. And yes it is "all that." Never fails to put a deep smile in my soul.

As for the money, and is it worth it and the shopkeeper Etc. Let's face it -- an independent music store is never making a killing. It's wonderful that we can still walk into a music store, pick up an instrument, get lit up about it and go home with it. Because you supported that business, someone else can go in there and have a similar experience.

As a comparison: I ride and restore vintage mopeds. NOS costs more than the original parts. The thing is always the scarcity.
Sure that uke doesn't fall into a vintage category, but if you love it as much as you say, who cares? How much has the "technology" of the uke really changed anyway? Sure you could buy a carbon fiber uke which would be "higher tech," but again if you don't love it, why bother. For me, carbon fiber is what gets used on the reeds on the engine on my mopeds.
Merry Christmas.jpg

New old stock is often more desirable if pristine. We live in a deposable age where marketing brainwashes us to crave and demand the latest and greatest. Wood musical instruments like guitars, ukuleles, violins, mandolins, etc., aren't like iPhones or SUVs. They're timeless and the value shouldn't drop as long as it's in demand and the condition is good. Most traditional plucked string instrument makers don't make a distinction between instruments by year. It's simply a C132S or whatever they call it. When my wife and I ran a little music shop we sold lots of Japanese Takamine guitars and the serial number indicated the date of manufacture. We'd order a dozen in a shipment and the dates were always at least a year or two old. High end models were even older. By the time we sold the high end models they were often 5 years old but pristine and no different in value than the one made a year ago. I noticed the older ones tend to sound a little better (wood aging, soundboard up to tension longer, played in from demos). Consider that the best instruments are made from tone woods aged for 15 or 20 years to enhance tone and stability.

Last edited:
Top Bottom