baritone ukulele strings

Steve-atl

Reaction score
I finished my stewmac baritone ukulele and was string it up. Before I could get the E string up to pitch it broke. Yes, there where some cuss words involved.

Any recommendations on good quality strings

How are you tuning it ? ..an E string shouldnt brake with standard bara tuning DGBE ..I've Tuned baras to GCEA with no problems .. look out for sharp edges on nut and saddle.

How are you tuning it ? ..an E string shouldnt brake with standard bara tuning DGBE ..I've Tuned baras to GCEA with no problems .. look out for sharp edges on nut and saddle.

Yep, it was the standard tuning DGBE. That's why I made a baritone, just so the cords would be familiar. I still have to think about it; my hands want to play it like a guitar :) I will check for sharp edges.

Thanks

Well that is what cuss words are for....

More information would be helpful but 1st things that come to mind......

Where did it break?
Is there a sharp edge on your bridge? (not sure which type of bridge but it could even be the edge of a string hole)
I know it sounds stupid but it does happen...are you sure you are tuning to the right E and not an octave higher?
Did you accidentally grab the wrong string? (again it sounds stupid but it is not unheard of as all it takes is one little distraction)
What type of strings are you using?

I prefer Worth Browns these days but everyone has their preference that way....

Well that is what cuss words are for....

More information would be helpful but 1st things that come to mind......

Where did it break?
Is there a sharp edge on your bridge? (not sure which type of bridge but it could even be the edge of a string hole)
I know it sounds stupid but it does happen...are you sure you are tuning to the right E and not an octave higher?
Did you accidentally grab the wrong string? (again it sounds stupid but it is not unheard of as all it takes is one little distraction)
What type of strings are you using?

I prefer Worth Browns these days but everyone has their preference that way....

The string broke near the tailpiece. I did a little search, and there was nothing obviously sharp-edged.

It’s a bridge where you have to feed the string through a tiny hole and then tie it off. It’s annoying, but I’m guessing that’s pretty common with ukuleles.

Yes, I am certain I wasn’t tuning an octave higher. I thought of that, and double checked it. The High E would be the same note as the high E on a guitar right?

The strings came all wrapped up together, not individually packaged. They were kind of hard to tell which string was which. I used calipers to check gauge. I think I got the strings in the right order.

The strings were whatever comes with the stew Mac ukulele kits. My guess is they’re not top shelf.

Thanks for your suggestions

As to your question on string recommendations, I like the middle 4 strings from a pack of Thomastik-Insfeld Classical guitar strings. They be had easily online.

Top Bottom