shipping questions

captain-janeway

Reaction score
For those of you who sell ukes, how do you set up your payments? Paypal friends, set up a business account or what? I'd like to make the buyer feel safe.

Have a duke 10 to sell because I just can't play a tenor.

For those of you who sell ukes, how do you set up your payments? Paypal friends, set up a business account or what? I'd like to make the buyer feel safe.

Have a duke 10 to sell because I just can't play a tenor.

I just use paypal, simple and built in protection for both parties. I Never use family and friends as I sell to total strangers and am happy to pay the small fee. Anything else would be fraud in my book. People who ask for payment via paypal and then want to dodge the fees, I have no time for.

I agree with Dennis,

When sellers want to dodge the fees for PayPal it sends up a red flag to me. "Proceed cautiously!"

I have gone ahead three times (but paid the fee myself)—and regretted it twice.

I just use paypal, simple and built in protection for both parties. I Never use family and friends as I sell to total strangers and am happy to pay the small fee. Anything else would be fraud in my book. People who ask for payment via paypal and then want to dodge the fees, I have no time for.

Do you set up a seller's account? I couldn't quite tell reading it. I guess I got lucky doing a swap with a guy on here. I wasn't sure if the protection applied to family and friends as well

paypal - and I never use or ask for "friends". If the seller complains about the fee I'll bump the remit a few bucks to cover it.
and I recommend and use only USPS to ship..
Sorry, I have no idea what goes into setting up a paypal account these days. I've had mine too long to recall when I opened it... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Do you set up a seller's account? I couldn't quite tell reading it. I guess I got lucky doing a swap with a guy on here. I wasn't sure if the protection applied to family and friends as well

I honestly can't remember how I set my PP account, I don't remember it being anything special, just stock standard as I recall.

If you have a PP account you can enhance it with additional features and services whenever you wish. I used to do a lot of selling and was setup to accept credit cards from my website (shopping cart system) and live with a swipe/chip reader on multiple iPads and iPhones. We closed our shop and haven't used those features for a couple years now. However, unlike the normal credit card processing services, PP lacks a monthly fee so the fee came only from individual sales. As a small business we saved a lot in card processing fees over our local banks. Perhaps the monthly fee would be better if you had really high volume but the per item transaction fee is the way to go for small fry like me. The card reader on an iPhone is really handy if you're selling at a swap meet or garage sale.

Thanks all. Looks if I send an invite for the uke it has the protection on it. We'll see if it works if I have someone interested in the uke.

Captain! I’m glad to see you finally made it back to Earth though you somehow jumped back in time. I hope you didn’t disrupt the timescale of technology by turning over your ship to any current-time Earth authorities. Live must seem pretty hum-drum to you here in Earth in the 2010’s.

I agree with all the advice you’ve gotten. Go PayPal, no friends and families. Just state up front who pays the Paypal buyer fee. I think it’s 2.9% plus $.30 but double check that. Or pad the fees into the price and don’t mention it. You send them an invoice by their email address, so it is up to you to invoice them as a sale and not a gift or loan to a friend, which is dishonest anyway. So long as you are clear up front about that no one should get bent out of shape. If they do steer clear. You don’t want to deal with a hot head anyway.

Captain! I’m glad to see you finally made it back to Earth though you somehow jumped back in time. I hope you didn’t disrupt the timescale of technology by turning over your ship to any current-time Earth authorities. Live must seem pretty hum-drum to you here in Earth in the 2010’s.

I agree with all the advice you’ve gotten. Go PayPal, no friends and families. Just state up front who pays the Paypal buyer fee. I think it’s 2.9% plus $.30 but double check that. Or pad the fees into the price and don’t mention it. You send them an invoice by their email address, so it is up to you to invoice them as a sale and not a gift or loan to a friend, which is dishonest anyway. So long as you are clear up front about that no one should get bent out of shape. If they do steer clear. You don’t want to deal with a hot head anyway.

LOL! Made it back to earth and now captain mopeds, not the Voyager.

Thanks to everyone for the advise

Merry Christmas.jpg

Top Bottom