Which one should I choose?

Astein2006

Reaction score
I am in the market for a solid mahogany soprano. Budget is around $400 tops, preferably less.
These are my current top choices:
Ohana SK28,38,39 or Martin S1.
My time is so tight I do not have time to find shops that have these in stock to try out.. So I’m basing my choice off of YT videos,blogs and the esteemed opinions of UU members!!
I am not interested in other models as I have narrowed it down to this list. I’m also not interested in the used market. I like to make
my own memories and dings😉.
So UU’ers chime in on which one and why!

I'd include the Mainland soprano in that mix as well.

As for your existing list, I'd go for the S1. Nothing wrong with the Ohana models--some wonderful replicas, but the new S1 models from Mexico are clear, punchy, and bright.

Just remember...it's not an investment, it's an instrument to play--so play it and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I'm sure you have seen a lot of reviews and info. My only question has to do with nut width. Mim lists the SK28 nut width as 1-5/16 (a little less than 34mm) and Baz says the SK39 nut is 34mm wide. I suspect both are the same, as well as the SK38. Are you okay with a narrow width?

The Martin S1 is listed as 1-13/32" (closer to 36mm).

John

I'd include the Mainland soprano in that mix as well.

As for your existing list, I'd go for the S1. Nothing wrong with the Ohana models--some wonderful replicas, but the new S1 models from Mexico are clear, punchy, and bright.

Just remember...it's not an investment, it's an instrument to play--so play it and enjoy it.

You make a great point. I’m here to play not invest. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm sure you have seen a lot of reviews and info. My only question has to do with nut width. Mim lists the SK28 nut width as 1-5/16 (a little less than 34mm) and Baz says the SK39 nut is 34mm wide. I suspect both are the same, as well as the SK38. Are you okay with a narrow width?

The Martin S1 is listed as 1-13/32" (closer to 36mm).

John

I prefer a wider nut. I have a Kamaka standard and I’m not sure of the nut width but i like it. I wouldn’t want it narrower, maybe even wider. Thank you for the specs much appreciated.

Totally realize it is not in your list, but my used Kiwaya KTS-4 is in your price range!

It rocks!!

I had the SK-39, and while it's a beauty, I couldn't get on with the extended fretboard. Got in the way of my finger picking. I've got the SK-38 now and am much happier. The SK-28 is a style choice. I don't mind the 34mm nut, but if your fingers are thicker, maybe the Martin would be a better choice. I can definitely feel the width when I get the chance to play a Martin. Personal choice, but I like the Ohanas better than the new Martins, others will strongly disagree with my opinion!

If you get an Ohana change out the Aquila strings as they don't do it justice. IMHO, I think they deserve fluorocarbon but your choice.

Last edited:
I prefer a wider nut. I have a Kamaka standard and I’m not sure of the nut width but i like it. I wouldn’t want it narrower, maybe even wider. Thank you for the specs much appreciated.

Kamala HF-1 nut is 1-7/16” (36.5mm) wide which is a little wider than a Martin S-1 (1-13/32). But... it is not just nut width, string spacing is just as important so the S-1 could be the same, but it might be just splitting hairs between the two. However, the string spacing on the Ohana ukes would most likely be narrower as there needs to be a minimum amount of relief from the string to the edge of the fretboard.

John

Have you considered Reverb? There are Pono’s for around $400.

Reverb

There are also Romero Creations in your price range. Reverb link

Last edited:
Kamala HF-1 nut is 1-7/16” (36.5mm) wide which is a little wider than a Martin S-1 (1-13/32). But... it is not just nut width, string spacing is just as important so the S-1 could be the same, but it might be just splitting hairs between the two. However, the string spacing on the Ohana ukes would most likely be narrower as there needs to be a minimum amount of relief from the string to the edge of the fretboard.

John

Absolutely. My Ohanas came with 27.2 and 27.4 mm string spacing, a Martin OXK I briefly owned had a huge 30.7 mm string spacing even though the nut is only 1.5 mm wider. As an aside, I had an Islander tenor with a 38 mm nut and it only had 28.7 mm string spacing so nut width isn't the whole story.

I had the SK-39, and while it's a beauty, I couldn't get on with the extended fretboard. Got in the way of my finger picking. I've got the SK-38 now and am much happier. The SK-28 is a style choice. I don't mind the 34mm nut, but if your fingers are thicker, maybe the Martin would be a better choice. I can definitely feel the width when I get the chance to play a Martin. Personal choice, but I like the Ohanas better than the new Martins, others will strongly disagree with my opinion!

If you get an Ohana change out the Aquila strings as they don't do it justice. IMHO, I think they deserve fluorocarbon but your choice.

I’m pretty much 99% strummer. What is it about the Ohanas you like better?

Absolutely. My Ohanas came with 27.2 and 27.4 mm string spacing, a Martin OXK I briefly owned had a huge 30.7 mm string spacing even though the nut is only 1.5 mm wider. As an aside, I had an Islander tenor with a 38 mm nut and it only had 28.7 mm string spacing so nut width isn't the whole story.

The one saving grace with a fretboard that accommodates a wider nut is being able to replace it with another one and cutting wider string spacing. I’ve probably swapped out half-a-dozen nuts to get the setup I wanted.

John

I’m pretty much 99% strummer. What is it about the Ohanas you like better?

The Ohana had what I wanted in a Martin-like ukulele at a fairly low price - particularly the SK-38. The S1, felt a little unfinished to me, and the tone was uninteresting (to me), for an instrument of that price. I think I prefer the fret wire thickness of the Ohana to the thinner fret wire on the S1 (although that’s a selling point to some). And I just think they’re nicer looking too (styled after the S2, S3 & Nunes). Like I say mostly subjective.

I’ll probably upgrade the friction tuners to some Grovers though. The ones it comes with aren’t bad, I just want better ones.

The one saving grace with a fretboard that accommodates a wider nut is being able to replace it with another one and cutting wider string spacing. I’ve probably swapped out half-a-dozen nuts to get the setup I wanted.

John

Do you do that yourself or send it out? Just curious approx what that would cost.

I really like my Ohana mahogany ukes, (so I may be a bit biased), I have 2 long neck sopranos, both concert scale & tenor scale - I think they have a great sound/tone.

Whatever the width of nut/string spacing is, I don't have any problems, & I've got man sized hands. :)

(I also have an Ohana long neck concert too, I just like the sound of these mahogany ukes.)

Do you do that yourself or send it out? Just curious approx what that would cost.

Yes. Most ukulele nuts pop off pretty easily when tapped from the side. I started off with some cheap Harbo Freight abrasive small diameter tools before going to actual nut files. A tiny drop of ca (superglue) should hold the new one in place. There is a lot of info online.

Not sure of the cost for a tech to do it. Probably not a lot.

John

Totally realize it is not in your list, but my used Kiwaya KTS-4 is in your price range!

It rocks!!

For sure. I would put the Kiwaya heads and tails beyond those mentioned in this thread.

Top Bottom