Thick fluorocarbon strings

Beadslele

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased Kamaka longneck soprano and love the sound of Kamaka strings.
BUT intonation (especially C string) is still off after one month of playing.
Two days ago, I tried Martin M600 to see if it helps and the intonation is perfect even after 2 days.
My question is...Is there any thicker fluorocarbon strings which have similar sound as Kamaka strings?
I like Martin stings on my Kiwaya but on Kamaka, I still love the sound of Kamaka strings.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Hi,

I purchased Kamaka longneck soprano and love the sound of Kamaka strings.
BUT intonation (especially C string) is still off after one month of playing.
Two days ago, I tried Martin M600 to see if it helps and the intonation is perfect even after 2 days.
My question is...Is there any thicker fluorocarbon strings which have similar sound as Kamaka strings?
I like Martin stings on my Kiwaya but on Kamaka, I still love the sound of Kamaka strings.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Florocarbon is a denser material so it is thinner for the same tension. Kamaka is a nylon string, there fore you will never get florocarbon strings as thick as nylon for the same scale length and tuning.

Try some Daddario Pro Arte nylon ukulele strings or another set of Kamaka if you love the sound. DAdarrio makes the Kamaka strings

I'm guessing what mean instead of "intonation" is pitch stability, i.e., the string stays at pitch while sitting overnight? intonation refers to being in tune as you play up the neck, e.g., the octave at the 12th fret agrees with the open string and octave harmonic. Any of the common string materials—nylon, Nylgut and fluorocarbon—are stable once stretched out. Nylon takes the longest. I used to tune my instruments a little sharp every few minutes for the first day after a string change and even nylon will stabilize within a day. If you love the tone of Kamaka strings, why not force the C string to stretch out by tuning in up a half step and retuning constantly throughout the day. I'm partial to a wee bit of brightness in the C string and use a fat Nylgut mixed with nylon or fluorocarbon A and E strings.

But, yeah, fluorocarbon does stabilize the fastest if you like the tone.

Last edited:
If you like the tone of Martins (I do too) but you like a thicker string you might want to try the Aquila sugar strings. They are not made of nylgut and sound similar to flouro strings but with a thicker, stiffer feel. I'm a big Martin guy but tried them because I heard they had better sustain than flouro's. I'm not sure about that after having them on my Martin tenor but they do sound good and break in quickly.

Top Bottom