Maui trip - Where to get a tenor?

adauria

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am lucky enough to have an upcoming trip to Maui. Never been there before. I am also kind of in the market for a tenor (low G string, ideally). I just want to mix it up from the 2 soprano's I have now.

Any great manufacturers and/or shops I should make some time to visit? Any good recommendations for something local?

I definitely don't want to buy an Asian made uke there - definitely want something Hawaiian. I want to spend in the $500-800 range (give or take... I might be able to go a bit higher if I have to).

Thanks!

-Andrew

That could be tough - finding a ukulele on Maui. :)

I would first decide on a brand and model and take it form there. Check the price of a flight to Oahu and maybe visit HMS. The last time I was there, I wasn't playing a uke. I wouldn't expect a price advantage, but you will have the concern of getting it home safely. They could ship it for you.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Ukulele+Shop&find_loc=Maui,+HI

I have not visited Maui yet but have seen and liked the Mele Ukulele. Their tenors with low G sound very potent. They seem to have two stores but did not see any reference to a factory tour on their website. Give them a call!

Bounty Music in Kahului usually has a good selection. Ken Potts is a builder in Lahaina, but he might be out of your price range. Lahaina Music, too. Also, I've heard stories that if you check Craig's List you might find someone selling. Good luck. You'll love Maui!

I shopped for ukes on Maui six years ago and visited Mele, Lahaina Music, and Bounty Music. Meles are made in Asia, though they’re set up in Hawaii. They were nice but just didn’t measure up to the K brands. I ended up spending more than I had planned, buying a beautiful Koaloha concert at Bounty. Lahaina Music was also a very nice store, though it was smaller than Bounty. Warning: if you’re in the market for a Hawaiian tenor, I’m afraid you’re going to pay well over $1k.

Thanks for the ideas folks! Looking forward to checking out these options (and just enjoying Maui).

I did manage to get a KoAloha soprano a few years ago in Oahu for around $800, but I guess the tenors go a bit higher? In any case, I usually like to play instruments and if I fall in love.

-Andrew

OK, just to close this out, I ended up looking at and considering a Kamaka Tenor in Lahaina. I was sorely tempted but it was $1400 so I had a cooling off period. I ended up checking out and buying a Mele Tenor in Wailea at their shop there. It was WAY cheaper, but still a really nice tenor. It's a "mostly" Maui made instrument. If the guy in the shop is to be believed, they only cut the body pieces in the Philippines (out of Hawaiian Koa), and the rest is done in Maui.

It looks, sounds, and plays great. All their tenors come setup and strung with a low G. I really enjoy the the larger size of the tenor and extra frets. Intonation is really solid up and down the neck.

Now I've got to learn some low G fingerpicking tunes!

Thanks for the help folks.

-Andrew

Hey folks, I am lucky enough to have an upcoming trip to Maui. Never been there before. I am also kind of in the market for a tenor (low G string, ideally). I just want to mix it up from the 2 soprano's I have now.

Any great manufacturers and/or shops I should make some time to visit? Any good recommendations for something local?

I definitely don't want to buy an Asian made uke there - definitely want something Hawaiian. I want to spend in the $500-800 range (give or take... I might be able to go a bit higher if I have to).

Thanks!

-Andrew

A nice Hawaiin made tenor would probably cost more than $500 to 800. The K's are making some in Asia to fit that price point.

I visited Maui a few years ago and bought a uke while I was there. I ended up buying a Mele uke from their store in Wailuku. I also really liked Bounty Music in Kahului and Kula Gold in Lahaina (although Kula Gold is tiny and has limited stock).

I'm the OP, and yep - I bought the Mele as mentioned above. Having lots of fun with it!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

-Andrew

I'm the OP, and yep - I bought the Mele as mentioned above. Having lots of fun with it!

-Andrew

Happy to hear you are liking your Mele! I had a double-hole koa for awhile that I ended up trading when I upgraded to my Pineapple.

I was very happy with mine, and hope yours gives you plenty of joy!

-Andrew

Glad you are enjoying it. I really liked mine until I changed the strings and now I LOVE it. It's worth trying a few different string sets to see what you like.

Glad you are enjoying it. I really liked mine until I changed the strings and now I LOVE it. It's worth trying a few different string sets to see what you like.

Hey I was thinking about this and even wrote a letter to Mele (yet to be answered) - the strings it comes with seem to have 2 wound strings (G and C) where the C seems thicker than the G! Is that normal?

More importantly, what strings (assuming it was a low G set) did you put on it?

-Andrew

Hey I was thinking about this and even wrote a letter to Mele (yet to be answered) - the strings it comes with seem to have 2 wound strings (G and C) where the C seems thicker than the G! Is that normal?

More importantly, what strings (assuming it was a low G set) did you put on it?

-Andrew

They must have changed the strings that they use since I got mine because only the G string was wound on mine. I changed mine to high G when I got it, and I've found that I like Aquila Reds, although Oasis Warms weren't bad either. It really is a matter of personal taste, so it's worth playing around with it.

Thanks folks, good advice! I will stick with low G on this one, as I already have a high G uke (KoAloha Soprano) and wanted the variety.

-Andrew

Top Bottom