Mitchell ukes?

Kherome

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if Mitchell ukes are considered good quality? I tried to search the board but I didn't find much. Thank you!

They are very attractive instruments, but many consider them to be heavy as ukuleles go. I saw a video today that suggested they are owned (indirectly perhaps) by Guitar Center. I have no idea whether that is true.

The bottom line is to buy the ukulele that inspires you to play. Look around at several music stores and try out different ukuleles. If you don't play yet, ask someone there to play for you. Listen to the sound differences, and learn what sound qualities you like. Hold the ukuleles and strum at least a basic chord to feel how it vibrates. Don't let anyone talk you into a purchase before you've tried multiple ukuleles. There will always be a deal, so don't be pushed by a deal.

Consider also that changing strings can make a difference, and strings are relatively cheap. At the end, if the Mitchell calls to you, that's the one you should buy.

They are very attractive instruments, but many consider them to be heavy as ukuleles go. I saw a video today that suggested they are owned (indirectly perhaps) by Guitar Center. I have no idea whether that is true.

The bottom line is to buy the ukulele that inspires you to play. Look around at several music stores and try out different ukuleles. If you don't play yet, ask someone there to play for you. Listen to the sound differences, and learn what sound qualities you like. Hold the ukuleles and strum at least a basic chord to feel how it vibrates. Don't let anyone talk you into a purchase before you've tried multiple ukuleles. There will always be a deal, so don't be pushed by a deal.

Consider also that changing strings can make a difference, and strings are relatively cheap. At the end, if the Mitchell calls to you, that's the one you should buy.

Unfortunately I'm in an area that doesn't offer me a music store to go try ukes at. The nearest one is over an hour away and I can't get there. I can't say I play. I have a cordoba 15TM and I'm trying to learn. There are 2 Mitchells listed locally, one with electronics. I just couldn't find much info on the brand and I don't want to purchase and find out that they are generally regarded as "poor" or something. Thank you for your help!

I've only seen them at Guitar Center and the ones I've tried have been "meh". Not terrible, but nothing special either. Your Cordoba is likely to be better or at least as good. Frankly, I think you'd have much better luck ordering online from one of the usual suspects like Mims Ukes, Uke Republic. HMS, Elderly, Mainland who will provide quality control and a decent setup.

Mitchell ukes are a good value in their price range. They have a nice fit and finish, come with Aquilla strings and have decent tuners. These do not undergo any kind of set up and are pretty much what you get from the factory. My suggestion would be to contact Mim at Mim's Ukes and she will help you get a uke you will be happy with in your price range.

Thank you I will look at Mim's. Is Lanikai a good brand to look at? There is one newly listed tonight.

Lanikai is another "ok" brand, but at this end of the market and with your experience level, picking a good dealer is way more important than picking the "right" brand. If you have some idea of what you want that the Cordoba isn't giving you, Mim or one of the others listed above will help you sort through that and get you headed in the right direction. Those mentioned are well respected here and are very unlikely to steer you wrong.

I also say check with Mim, she carries a lot of brands and knows her stuff. I took her advice about a $379 Kala cedar top and it's now my go to gig uke.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thank you for the help. I'm going to avoid the Mitchell and keep looking. I'm finding it very hard to decide!

Mims seems to mostly sell Ohana?

She has been the top Ohana retailer in the U.S., so she has their entire inventory at her disposal. She also sells other brands in the entry-level range. Whatever you get from her will get plenty of TLC before it gets to you, that's for sure.

Mims seems to mostly sell Ohana?

Mim is the biggest Ohana dealer in the US. But, she sells lots of other brands. I have purchased several ukes from her, different brands.

Back in the dark ages, when I started playing Uke, I tried a couple of Mitchells, Fenders, and Cordobas at my local Guitar Center. I was a noob, mostly a lapsed guitar player (had to stop because of an arm injury). In my opinion, at the time, the Mitchells were garbage, and the Fenders not far behind. I was sort of impressed with the Cordoba 20TM (no electronics) but there were two with the same model number that looked and played totally differently. I would have bought one of the Cordobas on the spot, but... they couldn't find a case or gig bag for it.

Did I mention that the ukulele came with a decent gig bag?

So I ordered a 20TM from a local shop, and when it came in... The manager tried to charge me for the gig bag. I showed him the manufacturers info (which is what he placed the order from) and it showed a gig bag, so the doofus backed off. (This same guy pulled out a guitar pick to play a custom uke I brought in to show the owner, and didn't understand when I told him to hand me the instrument, and never touch anything of mine again.)

I have been happy with the Cordoba - one of my lower-end instruments, but great sound, great intonation, and that's how it came from the factory.

The only uke I have with friction tuners is one built by Ken Timms, and I have a set of Gotoh tuners I've been hesitating about putting on it for a few years... Ken said he built a Martin reproduction, and so I've left as is...

Last edited:
I think I'm going to order one of the Ohanas. Hoping I like it! Thanks

Hope you like it too! I assume you will order from Mim. She will set up the uke to perform optimally. You can talk with her to have her suggest the model you might enjoy.

Top Bottom