Wanted Microphone Suggestions

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am interested to know what microphones people are using to record your vocals and/or instrumentals. Does anyone know what kind of mics are being used for The Ukulele Site (HMS) recordings?

The Shure SM58 is probably the most used recording mic in the world.

Last edited:
I use a USB mic into audacity to record on Linux. :)

Mine is a Samson (Meteor, I think) & cost £40 about 2 years ago.

Edit: It is a condenser mic.

Last edited:
His name eludes my at the moment, but the reviewer in Virginia records with an iPhone and a separate mic, I believe. I used to know the details. (Big help, right? :) )

Vic Schmeltz - "Recorded with an iRig Mic Studio microphone and iPhone 6."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhXO8MMg7M

Last edited:
The Blue Snowball USB mic works quite well for not much money.

First question is budget??? Next is what kind of equipment do you have already. If you have a computer or laptop then a USB mic is the way to go. There are many depending on how much you want to spend. A condenser Mic will pick up both your vocals and your instrument at the same time wnile 12"-24" or farther away. The Shure 58 recommended above is really only for singing into. Those are dynamic mics and you pretty much have to get your lips right on top of it.

Last edited:
There was a thread on this subject not long ago with lots of recommendations. I got the Shure MV88 and use it with my iPhone. Works well. I'm still in the learning process on how to get the most out of it.

I am interested to know what microphones people are using to record your vocals and/or instrumentals. Does anyone know what kind of mics are being used for The Ukulele Site (HMS) recordings?

I see some really expensive small and large condenser mics in the HMS videos—like 5 grand per stereo pair! I like recording with a matched pair of Neumann KM-184. The ain't cheap but are a dad burn bargain compared to what I see dangling on the HMS videos. And the KM-184 sound wonderful for ukulele and guitar. However, any decent set of pencil or small diaphragm mics are good for ukulele. You might want to check out a set of the Rode NT5—Neumann like tone at 1/3 the price. The Shure SM81 is another really good small diaphragm mic for guitar and ukulele tracking.

Ditto on the Neumann KM-184. Used one on my album along with an SM7B for vocals.

An SM57 can be great for uke, but you've really got to have a decent preamp (or at least, a Cloudlifter) to make it work.

Re: HMS - FWIW, Andrew has stupid expensive mics AND stupid expensive preamps. The pairing makes for his super-duper sounds.

Last edited:
I just took a quick peek at a couple of the HMS videos and recognized a pair Schoeps CMC 6 and a large diaphragm Neumann (not sure which model). Dream mics....

First question is budget??? Next is what kind of equipment do you have already. If you have a computer or laptop then a USB mic is the way to go. There are many depending on how much you want to spend. A condenser Mic will pick up both your vocals and your instrument at the same time wnile 12"-24" or farther away. The Shure 58 recommended above is really only for singing into. Those are dynamic mics and you pretty much have to get your lips right on top of it.

I'm not even up to beginner level in terms of learning about this type of thing, so I found this interesting. Some mics are better for vocals, and some are better for instruments?
When people post their suggestions, could they also include if it's better for instruments or vocals? I do want to some day get a microphone (and figure out what else I need) for recording fingerpicking on ukulele, with no vocals, but still have no clue where to start.

I'd want a separate mic for the ukulele—small diaphragm—and a large diaphragm mic for vocals. I'd record the backing tracks first and add the lead instrument and/or vocals afterwards. If you have only one flavor of mic—and we've all been there—you can diddle the mic position and EQ to optimize the sound. The Shure SM58 stage mic is optimized for live vocals and has a huge contour bump in the lower highs that make ukuleles and guitars sound a bit bright 'n twangy, so lots of PP work to make it sound decent. If you want a good do everything mic, spring for a large diaphragm condenser mic, rather than a small diaphragm model. Rode has a series of somewhat affordable large diaphragm condenser mic that sound nice. if you have a little more bread to burn, the Neumann TLM 102 MT (their budget diaphragm condenser) sounds wonderful for both instruments and voice. I love using it on classical guitar tracks.

Thanks for the feedback. My problem has been that I don’t know the technical terms are for what I want. I have some USB mics that are pretty good. And I already have the Shure 58. I am looking for a mic that I don’t have to be on top of and you’ve given me the keywords to start my search: condenser mic.

I see some really expensive small and large condenser mics in the HMS videos—like 5 grand per stereo pair! I like recording with a matched pair of Neumann KM-184. The ain't cheap but are a dad burn bargain compared to what I see dangling on the HMS videos. And the KM-184 sound wonderful for ukulele and guitar. However, any decent set of pencil or small diaphragm mics are good for ukulele. You might want to check out a set of the Rode NT5—Neumann like tone at 1/3 the price. The Shure SM81 is another really good small diaphragm mic for guitar and ukulele tracking.

Thanks, will do. I guess I have expensive taste and no budget to back it up.

Ditto on the Neumann KM-184. Used one on my album along with an SM7B for vocals.

An SM57 can be great for uke, but you've really got to have a decent preamp (or at least, a Cloudlifter) to make it work.

Re: HMS - FWIW, Andrew has stupid expensive mics AND stupid expensive preamps. The pairing makes for his super-duper sounds.

I knew it had to be something that gets that “raw” sound.

Last edited:
I'd want a separate mic for the ukulele—small diaphragm—and a large diaphragm mic for vocals. I'd record the backing tracks first and add the lead instrument and/or vocals afterwards. If you have only one flavor of mic—and we've all been there—you can diddle the mic position and EQ to optimize the sound. The Shure SM58 stage mic is optimized for live vocals and has a huge contour bump in the lower highs that make ukuleles and guitars sound a bit bright 'n twangy, so lots of PP work to make it sound decent. If you want a good do everything mic, spring for a large diaphragm condenser mic, rather than a small diaphragm model. Rode has a series of somewhat affordable large diaphragm condenser mic that sound nice. if you have a little more bread to burn, the Neumann TLM 102 MT (their budget diaphragm condenser) sounds wonderful for both instruments and voice. I love using it on classical guitar tracks.

I’m going to be in for sticker shock, I’m sure.
Thanks everyone, I have a couple starting points to begin my search.

Last edited:
For recording at home, in a quiet surrounding, you definitely go for a condenser mic, that‘s absolutely correct. And the mentioned Australian company Rode (or more precise: Røde) is a very good place to look at. I have both, a large diaphragm condenser, Rode NT-1000, as well as a pair of small diaphragm mics for stereo recordings, the NT-5. Here in Europe, both are more or less in the same price range. For finger picking I‘d recommend a small diaphragm condenser, or even a pair of them, for stereo sound.
But of course, there are many other companies out there. And helpful books like „AUdio recordings for Dummies“. I have that, too. It‘s a nice introduction for the very clueless, like I was a couple of years back. I‘m still quite far away from being even beyond the level of beginnner, in this field. But it‘s anouther interesting field you can keep learning new things every day.

Thanks for the feedback. My problem has been that I don’t know the technical terms are for what I want. I have some USB mics that are pretty good. And I already have the Shure 58. I am looking for a mic that I don’t have to be on top of and you’ve given me the keywords to start my search: condenser mic.

Do you have a microphone interface/preamp/converter unit?
What do you intend to record to?
Your computer or something else?
Do you have a computer software program (DAW (Digital audio workstation))?

If you want to go past just using a USB microphone into your computer (nothing wrong with this really) then your opening up a HUGE can of worms.
As far as some recording microphones go then iSK is an inexpensive brand that just blows most of the competition out of the water.
There's no point in using a Neumann over an iSK until you really know what you are doing and in fact some that are in the know, WILL still use an iSK over a Neumann.

Last edited:
And??

Top Bottom