My Dilemma

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I own a 2006 KoAloha ukulele. I love the way it plays & the way it sounds. It was my first "good" ukulele after starting to play 2 years ago. It's also special because it was a gift from my mom. However, there are three things I wish were different about it. Number one ....I wish it was a satin finish and not gloss. I just don't like gloss necks on my ukuleles. Number two .... I wish it didn't have friction tuners. I like Gotoh UPTs. I know I could change the tuners, but mine has the vintage tuners on it, and changing them out on a 2006 model seems like sacrilege. Number three.... I wish it had a MiSi pick-up. Not a huge deal, but something I'd like. Also something I could change, but finding someone locally that could install one properly would be a challenge.

KoAloha used to make a Pikake model with a satin finish. They changed to the Rosette model to replace the Pikake. The Rosette model is Acacia with ebony appointments. The fret board is koa. The body is made in the Opio factory, the neck and the remaining assembly at KoAloha in Hawaii. I could get one from HMS, have them change out the friction tuners for black Gotoh UPTs that would look cool with the ebony rosette/head stock logo/bridge. Plus, I could add a MiSi pick-up. All of this at a decent price point.

What to do? Do I sell a fantastic ukulele that I love, but that has things that bug me, in the hope of getting exactly the features I want? I'd be giving up a semi-vintage koa ukulele for acacia. I listened to the KoAloha concert sound comparison that SUS put together on YouTube and that gave me a good idea on the sound difference. Acacia was very similar, but a bit more mellow to my ear.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I nuts?

Why sell? A gift from Mom will bring you lots of fond memories for a long time.
Just add to the collection.

NO!!.....Don't sell it!

Your mum gave it to you & you would regret it forever more, if you did, I'm sure of that.

Buy what you want anew, then, when you have your new one, have a luthier to do the alterations to it - then you'll have two brilliant ukes to cherish. :)

In the NAMM 2019 videos, I believe there was a quick (one sentence or less) mention that the Pikake will be back this year. You might contact Koaloha directly or ask Andrew at HMS. I really love my Pikake concert. Price difference would be worth it over the Acacia.

@Raftergirl. I don’t think that that you’re nuts for wanting a set up that suits you better. My suggestion is that you disregard any potentially adverse impact on resale value, change and modify what you have to suit your needs. Specific historical and investment instruments aside Ukes are, before all other things, there to be played. Changing out the Tuners might seem wrong in some way, but perhaps it can be done in such a way that the originals could be refitted at some future date.

I suggest that you seek out a Luthier to do the work you would like to be done and post it off to them. Enjoy what you have and enjoy the family memories associated with it.

Last edited:
If there's something about one of my ukes or basses that I don't like and can be changed, I do it without hesitation.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

A 2006 KoAloha isn't remotely vintage. If I loved the instrument, I'd do the upgrades and pronto. If you're worried about the value, those upgrades will make it even more valuable if you ever sell it. All those upgrades could be done in a day by a good luthier or tech, including making the neck satin/matte. On another note, I had a guitar with a satin neck and I played it so much it became glossy...

Sounds to me like you want to let it go. Someone's going to get a great deal.
Have you contacted KoAloha? The company is highly unusual in that they really really really want you to be happy with their instrument. Once you own a KoAloha you are part of the family. I love my KoAlana mahogany. It came with a satin finish. And like another poster said, the neck glossed up from human contact. It actually looks like it was finished that way. I don't understand the problem of the friction tuner especially because KoAloha stays in tune. But that topic has been discussed ad nauseam. For me I don't like the 5-point crown but I just ignore it. KoAloha sent me an Acacia Opio. I think it was semi-gloss. I didn't like that and I absolutely could not stand the tone of Acacia. It was supposed to be an upgraded replacement for KoAlana that had issues. We all have our preferences. And we all seem to like discussing them on the forum. Having an older instrument means that the wood has opened up and it's living up to its potential. But if you want to replace it with something else I think you should. We live in a disposable society. That's what's making you crazy. The constant temptation to change and try something else.
You did ask the philosophical question.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think rubykey hit the nail on the head .......the constant temptation to change and try something else. The search for perfection in all aspects of the instrument. One of my favorite sayings keeps sticking in my head ......"The enemy of good, is better."

As many of you have reminded me, this ukulele has sentimental value. That should outweigh the things that aren't perfect about it. Two of the three things can be remedied with some research & leg work. I'll start with that.

Plus I have a new Kumu concert hopefully arriving today. That should wet my appetite for awhile.

Last edited:
Lots of great advice here. I'm with those who suggest making it your own - meaning, mod it however you like. As it was a gift, you 1) may be less likely to sell it (might feel weird) and 2) you're not really losing out regardless what happens to the "value." Pickup and tuners are relatively easy, just need to find a decent luthier to help out. The neck isn't a big deal either, honestly. Lots of guitar players will use 0000 steel wool to "satin" a glossy or sticky neck. I've played many electric guitars that had this kind of treatment and they are a joy to play. The same luthier you use for the tuner swap and pickup install will likely be familiar with this same type of satin or steel wool treatment on the neck.

Not a huge jump to turn your sentimentally special uke into one that checks all the boxes. Go for it!

Your mother would want you to thoroughly enjoy her gift. Have the tuners you want put on the uke, put the misi on it, and enjoy it. There is no sacrilege in getting it the way you want it. Your mother would be happy for you to get it the way you need to play it more.

I’m with the change it to suit you people.

I’ve read about getting the gloss off the neck. Seems doable. Its your uke so you can give yourself permission to change tuners.

If this was a gift I had given to my daughter who then modded it I would be pleased she liked it enough to really fine tune it to her wants.

You’ll never get the neck to remain satin because you will eventually hand rub it back to a gloss... lol. But it will have a different feel. I don’t like plastic feeling gloss necks. I would imagine some 0000 steel wool would knock the gloss finish down. But follow your research.

John

I’m as cheap/practical as they come. That said there is an exquisite joy that comes from variety and from making a uke your own. I get both sides. Right now, enjoy your new uke and when you get restless then revisit the question.Who knows, perhaps your ear and preferences would have changed by that time. Enjoy the journey!

Steel wool on the neck and buy the tuners you want...simple...the uke gods want you to be happy.

It's quite likely that if you made all three of the desired changes to your KoAloha, your mother won't even notice. If you sell it, THAT she WILL notice. You already love how the uke sounds and plays. Just go for it; change the things you don't like, and then love the heck out the new and improved version!
Jan D.

Why sell? A gift from Mom will bring you lots of fond memories for a long time.
Just add to the collection.

You took the words right out of my mouth. And this uke is not one that would be easily replaceable if Raftergirl changes her mind.

I have a KoAloha from about 2006 with those white tuners, and I'm going to keep them, although I prefer the modern amber - or even Gotohs.

Last edited:
It has already been said but I will pile on........keep it and make the changes neccassary to the way you want it.

Top Bottom