Kanile'a bridge question....

jdmcnasty

Reaction score
I recently bought a Kanile'a K-1 Tenor from MGM. I noticed the bridge was slightly off center (about a 1/4" or less to the left). MGM told me when they line the bridges up for correct intonation, sometimes they aren't perfectly centered on the body. I know this is a very minor cosmetic issue and I do realize this is a handmade instrument, but I have OCD about things like this, especially after spending almost $1000. What do you guys think?

EDIT: The only reason I noticed it was because of that center stripe...
DSC_0008-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd play the uke. If the intonation is off, only then, would I worry. Kanile'a made it that way and MGM sold it that way so you've probably got nothing to worry about.

The intonation is perfect and it sounds amazing so it's not a major concern. Just a visual thing.

Yeah, not exactly uke-country in upstate NY. But that's why Al Gore invented the internet!

it's your money, and this is one of the issues that pops up with buying anything you have not actually seen.

bottom line:

If you are not happy, and if it will drive you crazy, return it.

JT

I wouldn't worry about it if it is only 1/4." Plus, if they are occasionally off for intonation purposes, the sound is far more important than that small a discrepancy. That being said, I have found the customer service with Kanile'a (Joe and Kristen are the owners) to be terrific. If it bothers you that much, send them an email. You could always send it to them to have their luthier take a look at it. But to be honest, the cost in shipping it to Hawaii may not be worth that adjustment unless it REALLY gets on your nerves.

I'd say that was within normal variables. All instruments are individual. No two look exactly the same, or sound exactly the same. It is quite usual to offset the bridge slightly, to one side or the other. This is usually done to align the strings over the fret board. If it is VERY noticeable, then I personally would probably not accept it, but less than 1/4" would be fine by me.

See it is part of your uke's character.

Ukantor.

JD, I'm surprised that you can eyeball a 1/4" offset without the aid of a ruler. If you start getting out calipers and measuring sticks with custom instruments if will defianately cause you some OCD ticks. I wouldn't sweat it if the intonation is good. The only thing else I could add is that I see no reason (intonation wise) why the bridge shouldn't be dead center and not to the left or right....e.lo...

Intonation has nothing to do with the bridge being centered with the body. Let's not start another myth.
Although Kanile'a is a "factory" their ukuleles are mostly built by hand and as such, stuff happens. The neck set is a little off, the body is a little out of whack, etc, such variables will affect bridge location. Ideally the fret board, soundhole and bridge should all line up perfectly. Your uke just has a little more character. Joe has pretty high standards and I'm sure he wouldn't knowingly let something substandard leave the shop. If it's really bad, contact him and I'm sure he'll make things better.
Unless you absolutely cannot live with it, get over it and just keep playing. You'll smile more often.;)

Last edited:
Kanilea

When you're hugging it close to your body and playing, I bet it looks great!

Craig

It's one of those things that you can only notice if you know to look for it. I'll post a pic asap. (I sold my camera to help cover this uke....irony.)

I recently bought a Kanile'a K-1 Tenor from MGM. I noticed the bridge was slightly off center (about a 1/4" or less to the left). MGM told me when they line the bridges up for correct intonation, sometimes they aren't perfectly centered on the body. I know this is a very minor cosmetic issue and I do realize this is a handmade instrument, but I have OCD about things like this, especially after spending almost $1000. What do you guys think?

EDIT: The only reason I noticed it was because of that center stripe...
DSC_0008-1.jpg

Dude.. the stripe is off center not the bridge. Did you actually measure it?

It looks spot on to me. This is a joke... right?

JT

Top Bottom