One reported case ever?

Kibes37

Reaction score
Has anyone EVER heard of a strap being tied to the headstock warping a Uke neck? Or distorting tuning? Seems like there are a ton of people doing it with no problem. Many will think just get pins. Yes, I’m aware they are easy to install, but I don’t want them on my Concert. Definitely on my future tenor. I am using a Uke Leash and when I’m sitting and the Uke is resting on my leg I have no concerns. However, when I stand up I like to tuck the body under my arm more. The neck lowers a bit (obviously I adjust the length to compensate) and the tension becomes greater. I think it’s probably fine, but I wanna jam worry free.

Thanks in advance.

The straps on my tenor and bari both go to the headstock and I’ve never had an issue. My concert is a flea so there’s a place on the heel to thread a strap, but again I don’t think it would make much of a difference if I had to use the headstock. They’re are generally pretty light things, ukes, so any potential warping forces would be fairly minimal I’d imagine :D

Ya me too. I’d just hate to mess something up when I could have just got pins and been good. I really like this Uke naked with no pins. I’d like to get to a point where I don’t really need a strap. May never happen. The concert Uke I have en route won’t have a strap issue. Like I said in my previous post, I’ll have them on any tenor I acquire. However, I’m happy with the Uke Leash and just want to be reassured. I found warnings online but nobody actually experienced it from what I read. Thanks

The strap-to-headstock arrangement might lead to more damage should you fall headlong down a flight of stairs while playing. Other than that.... ;)

If that were the case, there would be a lot of ukulele players walking around with warped ukuleles.

I briefly tried "tying the strap to the headstock with the shoelace" and found it very annoying as the strap continually got in the way of my left hand.

Instead of placing the strap adapter or shoestring at the nut, attach it between the tuning heads. That way it stays out of the way of your left hand.

Kremona_Mari_FT_1366sm.jpg

While I've never seen or heard of any examples of ukuleles getting warped necks because of straps being tied at the headstock - I have seen and heard of examples of ukulele finishes getting stained or otherwise marred by being stored with leather straps still attached. And that's one big reason why I prefer the "two buttons method" - I always remove the straps from my ukuleles when I'm done playing them.

Even the popular option of a leather strap adapter at the headstock would be something that wouldn't work for me as I'd take the strap adapter off before putting the uke away - for fear it might mar the finish of the headstock.

But with buttons, it's a simple matter of taking the strap off and stowing the uke back in its case. ...which is also cool when you have 3 straps and 16 ukes. :rolleyes:

I've been tying a strap to the headstock of my Martin guitar for about 50 years now, and it hasn't caused any problems. I know ukes are a lot smaller and maybe not as sturdy but it's still hard for me to believe it would cause a problem.

As for the scuffing issue, the UkeLeash strap has an optional velvet sleeve that you put on the loop that goes around the headstock, to prevent scuffing. As I'm still a newbie here, I know that other UU members know a lot more about this than I do, but I just thought I'd throw in my $0.02. The UkeLeash with velvet sleeve works really well.

Thank you all for your input. I just ordered the suede Uke Leash cover. I was thinking even regular acoustic guitars aren’t really a problem. As for falling down a flight of stairs while standing... I can’t promise anything, I still look at my fret hand quite a bit!;)

A strap around the head will not be a problem at all. Having said that, I put two strap buttons on everyone of my ukes, easier to hold and no chance of inadvertently dropping it, which I've done before having two strap buttons.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
No problems with strap adapter scuffing on the head stock any of my instrument after decades of use. And I stow most of my my guitars and 'ukuleles in the case with the strap attached. The only reason I remove the straps from my electric guitars is because the darn cases are so tight I have no choice. But those have Shaller strap locks so mount/dismount is fast.

Top Bottom