Water Proof Ukulele Suggestions?

specialmike

Reaction score
So it's raining outside and the weather isn't the best to play my ukulele outside. It is windy, it is humid, and it's extremely wet; not the best environment for my ukulele. (Even though that pretty much described Hawaiian weather :)))

So I was thinking, does anyone know of a good plastic ukulele? I'm not all that enthusiastic about buying an ukulele that is made of plastic, but if it means I can play it in the rain, I would jump on it pretty quick. LOL
I'm not saying I dislike plastic ukuleles; just that with a Koa uke, it would be silly of me to buy a plastic ukulele.

Now I know that if it gets wet, the sound will undoubtedly become muffled... but it would be fun wouldn't it?
Imagine a refreshing shower with dark clouds and a tad bit of wind, now add an ukulele and a person who just loves the rain (me or you, if you like the rain). Get the picture?

So any ideas?

I've always wondered. Can you really play your fluke/flea in the wet? Would it damage the soundboard? Like say you took it to the extreme, and used it as a vase and stuck flowers in (coming out at an angle.) Would that hurt the flea? or is there ample waterpoofing finish on the inside of the soundboard?

Check this link out for more.

TV PAL
tvpal.jpg

The Islander
islanderdeluxe.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wondered. Can you really play your fluke/flea in the wet? Would it damage the soundboard? Like say you took it to the extreme, and used it as a vase and stuck flowers in (coming out at an angle.) Would that hurt the flea? or is there ample waterpoofing finish on the inside of the soundboard?

The inside of the soundboard doesn't seem to be finished, nor do the bracing or the bit of the maple neck that extends into the body. You really, really wouldn't want to fill up a Fluke/Flea with water.

Cool link, seeso! All of a sudden I have the urge to get an all-plastic uke. The gaudier, the better!

that clear one looks pretty cool.
I would buy one simply to put fish in it.
That would be an awesome aquarium.

... The ukequarium

OOOH I want one of these too to fill halfway with water, hang up, and put a Siamese Fighting Fish inside. :shaka:
makana_Delovio_Clear_Vertical.jpg
MGM8A2.jpg

OOOH I want one of these too to fill halfway with water, hang up, and put a Siamese Fighting Fish inside. :shaka:
makana_Delovio_Clear_Vertical.jpg
MGM8A2.jpg

Does anyone know where to find one of these clear plastic ukes? I've searched Makana Mele and have come up with nothin'. Thanks!!!!

I so really really really want one of those....
But quite impossible to find in Europe :(

I had no idea they were rare when we got one pretty cheap (not in the best condition though). But I think it should be possible to find one within a 20 mile radius :p

Rainsong guitars are made of carbon fiber. Perhaps they would consider making a Ukelele out of the same material. With steel strings it should almost be bulletproof. :music:

Some of the plastic ukes actually sound decent-keeping them in tune is the tough part.

Yes. The soundboard is wood. Water will get into it and make it swell. Since it's a laminate, that swelling will quickly get the plies separating.

A better solution would be to replace the soundboard with a plastic top of some sort. You'd lose sound and tonal quality but you'd have a uke you coould play in wet conditions - maybe even underwater!

A better solution would be to replace the soundboard with a plastic top of some sort. You'd lose sound and tonal quality but you'd have a uke you could play in wet conditions - maybe even underwater!

A Flea with a carbon-graphite sound board would certainly look awesome though I'm not sure how she would sound. Carbon-graphite with 2 "F" sound holes! I wonder how much that'll run me?

Mike DaSilva has made some carbon fiber ukes. Pretty, but pricy.
Mike's have carbon fiber tops only...the rest of the uke is wood. I know CA (Composite Acoustics) ran a survey recently that indicated they were considering coming out with a fully CF uke.

A better solution would be to replace the soundboard with a plastic top of some sort. You'd lose sound and tonal quality but you'd have a uke you could play in wet conditions - maybe even underwater!
I'm pretty sure that some laws of physics would have to be violated for that to happen!

Last edited:
Top Bottom