Pleased with new Mya-Moe Blonde Baritone #2549, tuned reentrant.

Doc_J

Reaction score
The last uke of my 2018 baritone binge arrived this week, Mya-Moe Blonde Baritone #2549.
https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=2549&submit=Track
It's been on order for about 6 months, and worth the wait. This is a special uke, it has the last of the Biscuit Ridge Fire Salvaged POC sets that Mya-Moe had. Paired this great top with figured sycamore back and sides with maple binding, bridge and fretboard plus POC neck. The result is a beautiful, sonorous and very responsive baritone. It is so light weight. The playability, tone, feel, and looks are all excellent.

I'm pleased to see Cary Kelly is continuing and advancing the Mya-Moe tradition of crafting quality ukes. I have a bear-claw spruce and rosewood Mya-Moe in linear tuning. Decided from the beginning to have this be a reentrant tuned baritone (D4-G3-B3-E4) . Love the result.

Have a listen to a sound sample:
https://app.box.com/s/cn1l2rnz6orrl19dirbma13f24p9hdvd

P1090116 by , on Flickr
P1090121 by , on Flickr
P1090117 by , on Flickr
P1090106 by , on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice sounding and great looking. Hodge, do you notice any difference in the workmanship from the original MM builds?

Wow! Hodge, what a beauty. I love the sycamore. A blonde bombshell? The maple fretboard and bridge with the bearclaw do create a great looking lady. Sounds marvelous as well.

Congratulations! An excellent new addition.

Sounds wonderful to my ears. Now I want to figure out how to tune/string reentrant on my baritone. Yours is very nice looking in addition to sounding so pleasant and to my ear, natural.

Very nice sounding and great looking. Hodge, do you notice any difference in the workmanship from the original MM builds?

The workmanship is as good or better than my earlier Mya-moes. It’s seem to me that Myamoe always strived to continuously improve their quality/workmanship. There are some subtle differences. If you notice the sound hole on my new baritone is slightly higher (a good thing IMHO). The volutes are also very slightly different. The weight of the new baritone is noticeably less, but I think that has more to do with my wood choices. With the different woods and the different tunings it’s hard to compare sound wise, except they both have excellent volume, tone, resonance, and intonation.

For reference here is a sound sample of my spruce/rosewood Myamoe baritone (#2441).
https://app.box.com/s/vrv8qwelrlxmgayiiyh8uio0bpx28arm

Last edited:
Congrats Hodge! That's a beauty.

It really is a blonde bombshell, very beautiful looking. I had an all sycamore Mya Moe tenor, just love the speckled look. Glad to hear Cary is putting out such high quality instruments.

Hey Sharpshin

I have strung a few of my baritones reentrant. You can buy a reentrant baritone string set from Living Water. But the easiest way is to just replace the low D string with a high D. Assuming you are using florocarbon the diameter needed will be approx .66mm which equals .026". This is the same size as a E string from a tenor set of Worth or Oasis. You can also order individual Savarez and Pyramid florocarbon strings from Strings by Mail in a huge selection of diameters.

Last edited:
Great sounding Uke! Also love the sycamore look, very classy. Thanks for sharing.

Just wonderful Hodge. What a nice sibling set you have. I would call that one Dylan. Blonde on Blonde. :)

Thank you DownupDave,

I am going to poke around in my string box and see what I have...might not even need to order. I can't wait. Thank you so much for gifting me the answer.

Top Bottom