Aquila Sugar String Testing

Lapyang

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to be included in the New Aquila Sugar Testing. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?137809-Aquila-Sugar-strings-And-now-testing-better-version-what-to-do

Mimmo sent me a set of Soprano, Concert and Tenor. High G tuning.
I strung the Soprano set on a Fred Shields Oval Soprano, Concert set on a Oceana Concert and the Tenor set on a Kinnard Tenor.

Due to the thickness of the C string, I could not put it on my Zimnicki Soprano, which has a slotted bridge and the hole was too tiny for the knot to fit. Something to be aware of when considering changing string.

Each set got played about 30-45 min per day. Only 2 days were need for the strings to settle. After that, only micro adjustment were needed. No more fine tuning needed after 6 days.

Squeaking was obvious on Day 1. Resolved with a dab of lotion on the fingers. Squeaking improved markedly on Day 6. I used my finger pads instead of fingernails to play, due to my profession forbidding me to grow long nails. Dry fingers accentuate the squeaking. The following video demo the difference between Day 1 and Day 6.

One immediate impression was how loud and bright these sugar strings are. The original Sugar was loud, but these new ones are even louder. I made comparisons to the original strings on these Ukes vs the sugar. I kept the mic at the same distance for set demo. iRig mic plugged to iPhone. Hope the video captures the difference of volume these new Sugars gave out. To my ears, these new sugar is the loudest I've heard so far.

Loud and bright are not the only things I like about these new strings. Comparing to the original sugar, I feel these have more depth and tonal color. More volume control over the old version. It sounds closer to Fluorocarbon than nylon.

All in all, the sound quality is superb for these new Sugar strings. The squeaking is a nuisance, but I like the sound enough that I am willing to put up with having to moisturize my fingers. It brings new life to a ukulele that is quiet. I hope Mimmo can solve the squeaking issue, as he stated warm/salty water soak may be an answer.

I would like to thank Mimmo for including me in the testing of these excellent strings.

Last edited:
I agree with your assessment of these strings. Thanks for the videos, it really illustrates your points. They are very lively sounding. As I have posted in another thread, I am enjoying trying these.

I agree with your assessment of these strings. Thanks for the videos, it really illustrates your points. They are very lively sounding. As I have posted in another thread, I am enjoying trying these.

You are right! "Lively" is the word.

After 2 days of play with them on a Córdoba 22T they have settled well. I did have to use some lotion to mitigate the squeak as I am struggling with dry hands right now. They ring out beautifully with great note separation.
I did choose an already loud ukulele to try these on but agree that they will surely brighten up quiet ukulele.
The squeak has lessened in the passing days and am hopeful it will continue to lessen.
When they come available in the marketplace I will be trying a set on my Outdoor Ukulele Tenor, the reformulated Aquila Reds brought out much more volume in it but these should give it even more volume.
A huge thank you to Mimmo and everyone at Aquila for the opportunity to try these strings and all of their efforts in the advancement of instrument strings.

Squeack...
Maybe there is a solution (if you want to give a try...)
Put 5 spoons of penaut oil in 1 liter of water in a pot, make the solution very warm and put the strings for 15 minutes.
Then clean them

Of course, if the feedback are positive, we will introduce in in the standard process :D
Mimmo

Last edited:
Squeack...
Maybe there is a solution (if you want to give a try...)
Put 5 spoons of penaut oil in 1 liter of water in a pot, make the solution very warm and put the strings for 15 minutes.
Then clean them

Of course, if the feedback are positive, we will introduce in in the standard process :D
Mimmo

Interesting solution. I will test it and give a report.

Hate to be fussy, but are we talking about tablespoons or teaspoons, or perhaps does the exact matter?

I got in a used tenor scale uke from a UUer on which a test set of these new Sugars was installed, all except the G, which was a Red low G. The tone and volume was outstanding, I will happily buy more, if this squeak issue can be rectified. Otherwise, I just can't deal with squeak, but I appreciate Mimmo's efforts, and those of the testers here. Fingers crossed.

I got in a used tenor scale uke from a UUer on which a test set of these new Sugars was installed, all except the G, which was a Red low G. The tone and volume was outstanding, I will happily buy more, if this squeak issue can be rectified. Otherwise, I just can't deal with squeak, but I appreciate Mimmo's efforts, and those of the testers here. Fingers crossed.

I agree with you about the tone. The squeak does subside some as Mimmo has suggested. As someone else mentioned, I think it is similar to the way you can play crystal water glasses if the glass is really clean and free of residue. I am sure that there is a good solution to this. I trust they will find it given a little time and experimentation.

Top Bottom