Hard estimated risk?

Henning

Reaction score
Hello, what risk do you think it is that an ukulele with a saddle bending the top like this will come off, please?
Or, that some other problem in connection with the saddle/top will occur?
The age of the ukulele is about 4 years. The gluing of the bridge to the top is well done all around it.
Is there anything to do about this matter?
The top is made of Hawaian koa.
Regards

c1t.jpg

For better or worse this is kind of normal after time for a flat top constructed ukulele. The only way to really avoid it is to build the instrument with a slight arch in the top or to so overbuild the flat top that it effects the sound.

I own worse examples that still keep on playing and sound fine.

If there is a gap developing under the bridge, I would bring it to a luthier and have it removed and re-glued. It didn't leave the factory in that condition, so a repair is in order. I don't have any ukes with lifting bridges, although I did have two pop off. One was on a homemade uke, and the other was on a privately made one. I glued both back on myself using Titebond III.

I agree with Jerry about checking if there is a gap under the bridge. If it has started, then the bridge needs glued. Otherwise you can try stringing the uke with a light tension strings, e.g. Worth Clear Light Tension (CL 46). That's what I did with my Soprano that had the same issue.

Does it have a bridge plate? This is a thin .2mm piece with a foot print 4-5X larger than the bridge on the underside. I've had it work on flat Mahogany tops.
If it is still playable an installation of one may fix or prevent further bellying of the sound board. Bellying can result in fret buzzing and/or intonation issues.

Looks like soundboard stress from string tension: a little bowing behind the bridge and slight dip or depression in front of the bridge. And, yes, it is common, especially on instruments not braced well. High tension strings can make it worse so you may want to go to a light gauge.

Take it to a luthier and get him to put on a string through bridge. problem solved.

From what I can see in the photo, the bridge looks to be on the high side, thus getting more torque and tension on the top. The higher the bridge, the more tension which means it will deform sooner than later.

Hello, what risk do you think it is that an ukulele with a saddle bending the top like this will come off, please?
Or, that some other problem in connection with the saddle/top will occur?
The age of the ukulele is about 4 years. The gluing of the bridge to the top is well done all around it.
Is there anything to do about this matter?
The top is made of Hawaian koa.
Regards

View attachment 116020

I’m not sure if a Bridge Doctor exists for a ukulele. I’m not even sure if there would be an adverse impact to the tone/volume if one could be installed. They seem to work well enough for guitars.

I’m not sure what after-the-fact bracing could be done to fix the situation. It is pretty extreme and it could continue and eventually make the instrument unplayable. I once bought a used custom concert ukulele that was so severe it was unplayable. I shipped it back to the online retailer explaining that it really should not be sold again.

John

I have a 14 year old concert that is quite a bit worse than that. I still play it all the time. It's likely accompanied with a dipping of the top between the bridge and the soundhole. I don't think much can be done for it at this point. ... at least nothing that would not cost a bit of money or adversely affect the tone.
If the bridge is pulling off have it reglued. Otherwise, play it till you can't anymore.

Top Bottom