Martin Needs Tuner posts

Stew-Mac has very similar Waverly ukulele tuners.

Waverly_Ukulele_Friction_Pegs.jpg

Thank you for your suggestions, I looked for Grovers and could find, forgot about the Waverly tuners. I considered asking Jake, but decided that since this is a reconstruction the Waverly tuners would do and present less fiddling than reconditioning the Grovers.

When you get them let us know your thoughts and how they work on a vintage instrument (any modification needed, fit, etc). I like the looks of these.

Just to chime in, I suggest that you get the Stew-Mac countersink tool to help with the installation. In the normal way to install the Waverlys the holes in the peg head should only be slightly larger in diameter than the post. I have had some problems when retrofitting them when the hole size from the previous tuners is too large. In a couple of cases the shoulders of the hole were too narrow to provide enough friction for the tuners to hold. The fix was to superglue a short piece of dowel into the holes, drill out the center of the dowels to the correct diameter and use the countersink to install the Waverly tuners properly.
Bradford

Thanks for the tip. I have lots of woodworking tools and parts, even a mahogany dowel. I'll post further progress on the reassembly of this classic Martin. Also does anyone have ideas why there is no glue residue on most of the unattached joints.

Dave,

I have some waveryly's I can let you have at 25% off the online price. They were on a uke that never left the case. I hate them myself. If you don't do the seat just right they are terrible.

Got an almost look-a-like Waverly set from Michael. I'm using the new posts and springs with the vintage barrel as well as the vintage button. Now the assembly will start.

Last edited:
Great to hear. I'd love to hear about the final results when done.

Top Bottom