Cuatro GCEA tuning on Tenor Uke

azep

Reaction score
For the last several years my favorite tenor uke tuning has been Cuatro GCEA with strings provided by Southcoast Strings - essentially a 'Reverse Reentrant' tuning with with a low A to go along with a low G. Unfortunately, those strings are no longer available (RIP, Dirk!). My question is, has anybody out there experimented with any alternatives?

I still have my Eb cuatro tenor with Southcoast strings, all unwound. Is the C set wound or unwound for the G and the A? Can you tell a difference in gauge between them?

Thanks for your input. I serendipitously just strung a new uke (after I posted my first post but before I read any replies) with Worth Browns 0.81, 0.66, 0.74, & 0.91, & for now, at least, that seems to be a good workaround for when I exhaust my 2 sets of Southcoast Strings.

I'm also curious about how many people use the cuatro gcea setup on their ukes. By far it's my favorite tuning. My next favorite is the octave down linear setup I have on one of my baritones (2, actually). I'm mostly a singer who backs himself on a uke, & I especially like that you can capo those baritones up about 5-6 frets & it still sounds good, with at least a bit of bass.

One last thing, I also bought a set of D'Addario Cuatro Black Nylon strings, diameters .58, .72, & 2 @.83 (these last 2 have different tensions, @ 3.77 & 2.99). Next time one of my cuatro tunings wears out, I'll try this. Curious to see how it goes.

Not exactly cuatro but my 6 string is tuned gcCEaA. I love the effect that low A brings. There's a certain richness in the sound.

Thanks for your input. I serendipitously just strung a new uke (after I posted my first post but before I read any replies) with Worth Browns 0.81, 0.66, 0.74, & 0.91, & for now, at least, that seems to be a good workaround for when I exhaust my 2 sets of Southcoast Strings.

I'm also curious about how many people use the cuatro gcea setup on their ukes. By far it's my favorite tuning. My next favorite is the octave down linear setup I have on one of my baritones (2, actually). I'm mostly a singer who backs himself on a uke, & I especially like that you can capo those baritones up about 5-6 frets & it still sounds good, with at least a bit of bass.

Guh… and to think that I started uke playing thinking it was mostly straightforward. Before I bought my first uke, I read about low G. For some reason, that's the direction I went on the three tenors that I've had. Now I'm becoming more interested in trying to replicate what may have been in use during the 1700's amongst the Caribbean region. I have more research to do and time to do it as I'm financially strapped for awhile, but right now was leaning towards a concert sized in "bell" shape, with this tuning.

Would that size/shape combination be historically accurate for a four string cuatro or should I stick with the "figure 8" tenor/baritone shape?

Top Bottom