New uke!

stripedass

Reaction score
Super excited to get another awesome uke!! Picked this up from MIms UKes and totally thrilled with every aspect.of my purchase... Now I have a koaloha and a kanile'a... I need to slow down.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J5Bbb4QWRtU52w8f7

started doing some recording with this that I'm looking forward to posting.

Attachments

• 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190310170628500.jpg
    00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190310170628500.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Yep, that works.

Good lookin' KoAloha. Enjoy. Their ukuleles seem to be the favorite around here. I like my tenor a lot.

Are your Kanile'a and the KoAloha the same size?

Last edited:
Congrats! You're starting out just grand! Why do you want to slow down? Let your UAS have its head, use your spurs!

Wow, that is beautiful!

congratulations! That's a beautiful ukulele!

Congratulations on your new KoAloha. It’s a beauty!
Joe

Congrats! You're starting out just grand! Why do you want to slow down? Let your UAS have its head, use your spurs!

Yeah, now you need a Kamaka to round out your collection!

I have several ukuleles and my KoAloha is the best sounding of the bunch. Congrats!

It really is an awesome uke. Instantly comfortable to play and sounds so loud and rich. I have the Kanilea K1 tenor as well - which sounds great but almost thin in comparison to the Koaloha.. I may end up selling the Kanilea.. I really dont need two $1000+ ukes.. i kind of want to get something a little less expensive that I can take camping and stuff.

It really is an awesome uke. Instantly comfortable to play and sounds so loud and rich. I have the Kanilea K1 tenor as well - which sounds great but almost thin in comparison to the Koaloha.. I may end up selling the Kanilea.. I really dont need two $1000+ ukes.. i kind of want to get something a little less expensive that I can take camping and stuff.

I've never played any K-brand tenors, but that Koaloha sounds really full and rich, and I was surprised to hear that your Kanilea tenor sounds almost thin by comparison. Not sure if the sounds of those 2 brands are usually that different, or if it's just a case of a standout Koaloha vs a more average Kanilea. Since I assume you never got to play either before purchase, you really lucked out on the Koaloha! I hope you get many years of joy from that one.

I've never played any K-brand tenors, but that Koaloha sounds really full and rich, and I was surprised to hear that your Kanilea tenor sounds almost thin by comparison. Not sure if the sounds of those 2 brands are usually that different, or if it's just a case of a standout Koaloha vs a more average Kanilea. Since I assume you never got to play either before purchase, you really lucked out on the Koaloha! I hope you get many years of joy from that one.

I honestly didnt expect it to be that big of a difference either. But I guess thats why we have these options! I know i have played same model of teh same guitars and was shocked at how different they actually sounded AND played.

Very nice! Having a Koaloha and a Kanilea is a good mix. I have one of each and I couldn't ask for much more.

I think it may be a case of average Koaloha vs average Kanilea. Koalohas a very full sounding compared to most brands I've heard. My Koaloha concert sounds somewhat more full than my Kanilea tenor, but I love both sounds equally.

Last edited:
I honestly didnt expect it to be that big of a difference either. But I guess thats why we have these options! I know i have played same model of teh same guitars and was shocked at how different they actually sounded AND played.

I hear the same sound difference on my two instruments. They are definitely different sounds, especially if using their stock strings (Kanile'a's Aquila super nylgut, Koaloha's fluorocarbons). I think each has their own benefit- the Koaloha is louder and brighter, while the Kanile'a is deeper and a little more well rounded, at least to me.

Your recording was beautifully performed, and your 'ukulele is a wonderful complement to your talent. Your technique imparts a rare warmth to the Koaloha's wide voicing.

The two are definitely different instruments. As a general rule, Kanile'a 'ukuleles exhibit a warm, focused timbre. Some of them are bright and focused (occasionally to the point of harshness) when new, but this edge tends to mellow significantly as the uke opens up. Some Kanile'a ukuleles get a bit dark when played forte, and most demand a delicate touch (and sometimes an appropriate string choice) from the player who would elicit a broad dynamic range.

In contrast, the Koaloha timbre is open and typically bright. Most exhibit lively dynamics, but a few are wide and wolfish to the point of being unfocused (this can be desirable if you're looking for "bark"). Their dynamic responsive and quick attack make them gratifying to play, and the wide voicing gives the player a broad tonal palette; however, they generally don't mellow out much.

I don't know how long you've had your Kanile'a, but if I were you, and if I could swing it, I'd keep both. Kanile'a ukes can take a long time to open up, but few ukes are as seductive as a really played-in Kanile'a. As they open up, they gain dynamic range, and the warmth and focus give way to a reedy darkness that still retains the chime loved by so many.

Top Bottom