Uke Hut NYC

stripedass

Reaction score
Anyone ever shop here? Looking for some opinions before I take the drive to this place in traffic. If anyone is from LI they know what traffic can be like heading out this way.

They seem to have a pretty good selection.

I was in NYC recently, and wanted to check it out too, but didn't have time. I thought Long Island City was far away, out on Long Island, but it's actually in Queens, apparently just across the East River from midtown Manhattan; I probably could have taken the subway. Maybe next time. Of course, if you're a New Yorker, you probably know all this! I'm was a tourist there.

Last edited:
Yeah long island City is queens.. I'm in Long island. About 40 minutes without traffic which is usually unheard of... I expect a 2 hour ride each way or more on most weekdays..

That's one of the biggest things that sucks about NY. You plan your life around traffic for everything....

And standing in line.

It seemed like I was always standing in a line for something whenever I was in the city.

I lived north of the city in Tarrytown for 2 years. (22 years ago.)

I was in NYC recently, and wanted to check it out too, but didn't have time. I thought Long Island City was far away, out on Long Island, but it's actually in Queens, apparently just across the East River from midtown Manhattan; I probably could have taken the subway. Maybe next time. Of course, if you're a New Yorker, you probably know all this! I'm was a tourist there.

When many people think of NYC, they think of Manhattan, but that's just one of the five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island. I used to live on Long Island, and Manhattan was an easy train ride away.

http://www.ukehut.com/

Yes this is in Queens, not NYC OR MANHATTAN as it is referred to. You could take the subway if traffic or parking issues.

Last edited:
I have been enjoying surfing around NY on Google Maps and I have looked up the subway system. It appears to end at Jamaica, if you are west of Jamaica on Long Island, it looks like there is no subway to connect to the UkeHut, it looks like you have to drive or walk or ride your bicycle. If its a 40 minute drive, its not going to be a lot of fun. I have never been there so I can only follow what is on Google Maps.
The StreetView feature must have been photographed on a Sunday or holiday when the shops were closed, the Uke Hut is just a steel roll-a-door on a dull brick building, easy to miss if you are not awake. The parking does not look too good either.
Personally I would be trying to get off the island and to find a better place to live. It looks like the only way to go anywhere is via the traffic mess of NYC.

Ive been trying to get my wife to move for years!! The traffic is the least of the issues really - you should see what we pay in property taxes in nassau county. do a search online - we have been rated one of the top 5 most expensive places to live in the US for many years in a row.. all these taxes are taking away from uke funds...

no one from brooklyn or queens would ever admit that they are part of the island... lol.

but yes - subway does not reach the COUNTIES of long island.. The railroad does though..

Just take the LIRR into the city and take the E from Penn station to Long Island City. If you call them I am sure they will tell you what stop to get off on and it can't be more than a 15 minute walk from there. No reason to drive.

Top Bottom