Vintage Martin Style 0 soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Not playing this one as much anymore. Some recent hand issues steer me towards larger ukes now. 40s/50s Style 0, no cracks, only normal finish crazing and a few dings, normal wear IMO. Nice low action, plays and sounds great, just as you'd expect a vintage Martin soprano to sound. Came with tulip tuners, which were replaced with Pings, a drop-in, with no mods. Original tulip tuners included. Ships in real nice Guardian HSC, with cushy green interior. Strung with Martin M600, the best strings I've found, after many tries. Hate to see it go, but still have a nice Kiwaya sop for when the urge strikes.

24.jpg
23.jpg
22.jpg
Bridge.JPG
ping3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, nice that it has been played (sign of a fine instrument). I'll watch this one with interest.
Dave AKA Spongeuke

Hi
Can you please provide video link?
Thanks

ooooh pretty! Have you got a pic of the headstock?

Marvelous sounding Martin!
I haven't seen that white on white tuner before.
Do all Pings fit this vintage so well?
Did you find a lot of improvement between the old and new friction tuners?
And if so, I wonder if they'd fit my 60's Martin?

They all sound great but I got to say I think I like the Favilla the best. Good luck with the sale if I was in the market I would jump on this.
Cheers!

Marvelous sounding Martin!
I haven't seen that white on white tuner before.
Do all Pings fit this vintage so well?
Did you find a lot of improvement between the old and new friction tuners?
And if so, I wonder if they'd fit my 60's Martin?

My understanding is that the Pings will fit all vintage Martin sops, with no mods. These ukes typically have very small holes for the tuner posts. Even modern Grovers, as used on modern Martins, won't fit without widening the holes. IMO, the Pings work way better, much smoother than the original tulip tuners.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the Pings will fit all vintage Martin sops, with no mods. These ukes typically have very small holes for the tuner posts. Even modern Grovers, as used on modern Martins, won't fit without widening the holes. IMO, the Pings work way better, much smoother than the original tulip tuners.

Thx much, John. I'll bump yer post for your thoughtful reply. 😊

Thanks folks, for keeping hope alive! :D

BTW, according to the Walsh & King book, the Keystone (tulip) tuners and T-frets date this to between 1947 and 1956.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom